cnybrian

NAS SMB Error

I have a NAS I share with my wife that we use for backups. I have a Powermac G5 and she has a Dell (DONT ASK!). I had no problems connecting using 10.4 Tiger. After upgrading to 10.5 Leopard I can no longer access the NAS. The error message I receive is as follows:

The operation could not be completed.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -43).

The strange thing is, I can still connect to the NAS via FTP, just not SMB or CIFS.

Any suggestions??

Please help as I do not want to go out and purchase a new NAS.

I have contacted AppleCare, but they say its unsupported because it is a 3rd party device. I say that is BS since SMB worked fine under 10.4 but broke in 10.5. Apple will only support it if it connects directly with the Mac.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi,

I have tried Google and it is my friend! I did see that posting but I have no way of ensuring at least 1 share on the NAS is set to browsable. It's a simple HD enclosure, with a 10/100 connection and very basic web management.

You misunderstood the article. The error is in Mac OS X, not in the NAS. In Finder, press Shift-Command-G, enter "/etc" in the text field, and locate the "smb.conf" file in the new Finder window, right-click on it, and select Texteditor to open the file. Find your [shares] and see what the setting is for "Browseable". If it is set to "No", change that into "Yes". Next save the file to your desktop, drag it into the "/etc" folder, supply your admin user name and password and try again.

Unfortunately, I don't have a NAS to check if it works, so perhaps it is wise to clone your internal drive to an external drive before attempting this. If it messes up your Leopard install, you can at least restore to the previous install from the cloned backup.

Edited by Ignoracious

The article seems to me to be making a change on the Linux file server - "it was because all of the shares on the file server were set as non-browseable", so if thats the problem, then making those changes to the Macs samba config file would do nothing.

What type of NAS is it? How are you connecting to it (by IP address, or name? Browsing to it in Finder, or Go > Connect to Server?)

The NAS is a CompUSA branded one made by FMI (Fujitsu Microelectronics Inc.). I bought it a few years ago when the local store closed. Up until 10.5 it has served me just fine.

I still can't believe Apple support could not tell me what changed in SMB from 10.4 to 10.5 to cause this to break.

I still can't believe Apple support could not tell me what changed in SMB from 10.4 to 10.5 to cause this to break.

That would possibly make them liable for damages. There has to be someone in upper management to give the people on the work floor the green light on this. You can always ask to be escalated (talk to a superior). Maybe that person has knowledge the lower rep doesn't have.