Sign in to follow this  
TimB

Office 2008 vs iWork

TimB    0

My Office 2004 is dragging painfully slow under Leopard on my Mac Pro and I'm thinking of upgrading but the question is iWork or Office 2008. My needs are pretty simple, reading and writing simple .doc and .xls files. Reading the occasional slideshow and creating the very occasional slideshow.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

-=Tim=-

Graham    1

I've not used Office once in my entire last year of university (including writing a 180+ page dissertation), so iWork seems fine for your needs.

macfan777    0

I've heard Office 2008 is really great (Entourage apparently WORKS!) and it's Universal, so it'll run much faster on Intel machines. The only issue for you I think would be slideshows. Exporting from Keynote to PowerPoint generally ends up trashing the animations - in other words, Keynote presentations look crappy in PowerPoint. The other way around, though, Keynote makes PowerPoint presentations look even better in general.

So for your needs, I think iWork would be the best choice, and if you need to create a presentation that will be moved to PowerPoint, just use PowerPoint 2004 or wait to add the animations until it's in PowerPoint. If you want a free solution, NeoOffice is pretty nice - it's basically OpenOffice with a better UI. Can't really say from experience how well it deals with PowerPoint files, though...

Hope you find what you need!

groomsy57    0

I love iWork myself. I'll never use Office again if I can help it.

TimB    0

I've found an OEM version of iWork '08 for $29 plus shipping, company has positive feedback from 500+ people. Any reason not to buy it?

-=Tim=-

Edited by TimB

joshr    0

I just upgraded to office 08 on my tiger machine. I was very excited about moving to a universal app from the old painfully slow office 04 that I had. Office 08 is at least as slow, maybe slower, than office 04. I haven't used it a ton but it's a huge POS disappointment in my experience with it so far. It's painfully slow to open and the "optimizing font menu" thing takes forever. God I hate it.

pwbeninate    0
I've found an OEM version of iWork '08 for $29 plus shipping, company has positive feedback from 500+ people. Any reason not to buy it?

-=Tim=-

Hmm... I've never heard of OEM Apple software... Doesn't seem to make sense to me, since the only OEM who would distribute Apple software is Apple... They do provide NFR versions for most of their applications, but, as the name implies, those are not for resale. I'd be careful.

pwbeninate    0

Office 2008 is a huge improvement over 2004. It doesn't seem much faster, but the interface is more usable and intuitive.

That said, I do all my personal office work in iWork 08. It's faster and easier to use, not to mention significantly less expensive!

If you do a lot of work with other people using MS Office, you may want to use Office as well to insure compatibility. Otherwise, I highly recommend iWork.

karinlord    0

While I think iWork '08 is great - and have been using for work reports and graduate papers, it does not have an autosave feature. It is important to be aware of this and get into the habit of saving manually on a regular basis.

Graham    1

There is an autosave applescript knocking about, I'll link to it when I get home. It's basically an app that will just save any iWork document that's open every 5 minutes. It saved my life a few times when I was writing my dissertation!

jlamb0    0

One of the reasons I still use Excel is because I'm constantly fitting regressions to data, and the free alternative spreadsheet applications I've tried haven't given me the functionality I need in this regard.

I haven't used iWork yet. To any of those who have: Can you fit a line to a data plot and display the equation and coefficient of determination?

This is the only reason I've stuck with MS Office for so long.

ithonicfury    0

Just a note, there is a 30 Day trial version of iWork available on Apples site, so you can try it to make sure it will do everything you want satisfactory before you spend any money on one or the other.

angelsfan15    1

in my opinion the Microsoft office is little bit of a mess everything is everywhere its bad i could barely even could navigate on it but i work was the total opposite it was really organize easy and a great transition over. The best thing is all of your office documents open on iwork =].

TimB    0
There is an autosave applescript knocking about, I'll link to it when I get home. It's basically an app that will just save any iWork document that's open every 5 minutes. It saved my life a few times when I was writing my dissertation!

Is there a way to script so that when you save an iWork file it also Exports an Office compatible version as well?

Just a thought. :)

-=Tim=-

Edited by TimB

Graham    1

If you mean is there a way to run a script that saves both an iWork file and exports it as an office file when you use a custom trigger in an app such as quicksilver, then yes, I expect so.

Anyway, here's my autosave script for iWork.

Instructions: Paste the following code into script editor, and choose... File -> Save As and choose Application Bundle from the drop down

Uncheck the option for a startup screen and check the stay in background option.

When the app is open, it will save all iWork documents that are open every 10 minutes. Change the first line to change the frequency of saving. I wouldn't have it much higher though, applescript isn't the most efficient thing in the world...

[edit] Oh yes, you need to have enable access for assistive devices checked in the universal access preference pane or this will die a horrible death.

property timedelay : 10

on idle
my auto4PK("Pages")
my auto4PK("Keynote")
my auto4Numbers("Numbers")
return timedelay * minutes
end idle

on auto4PK(theApp)
local titles, aDoc
tell application "System Events" to set titles to title of processes
if theApp is in titles then
	tell application theApp
		repeat with aDoc in every document
			if modified of aDoc then save aDoc
		end repeat
	end tell
end if
end auto4PK

on auto4Numbers(theApp)
local mNum, i1, titles, nw, nm, i, n
set {mNum, i1} to {10, 6}
tell application "System Events" to set titles to title of processes
if theApp is in titles then
	tell application theApp to activate
	tell application "System Events" to tell (first process whose title is theApp)
		set nw to get name of every menu item of menu 1 of menu bar item 10 of menu bar 1
		set nm to count of nw
		if nm > (i1 - 1) then
			repeat with i from i1 to nm
				set n to (item i of nw) as Unicode text
				if value of attribute "AXEdited" of button 1 of window n is true then
					click menu item n of menu 1 of menu bar item mNum of menu bar 1
					keystroke "s" using {command down}
				end if
			end repeat
		end if
	end tell
end if
end auto4Numbers

Edited by Graham

karinlord    0

Thanks for doing this up Graham. I did try the applescript floating around the boards for autosave but found it a bit iffy.

So I followed your instructions, turned on "enable access" for assistance devices

Cut and paste your script into ScriptEditor

Did File->Save As (called it autosaveiPages), saved it in Applications as a File Format "Application Bundle" and had only "Stay Open" option (I am guessing that is what you meant by "stay in background option" - I couldn't find that), and unchecked Startup Screen

So then I ran a test. Opened Pages, and typed in a line. I did save the document manually, then added another line. Waited 15 minutes and hit "force quit" (to mimic a system or program shutdown without a manual save). Then I reopened the document. It did not come up with the additional text which I thought would have appeared with the autosave script you wrote.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks.

Graham    1

Firstly, I can only guarantee this with iWork 08 on Leopard, since that's what I'm running. I have no idea if it will work with older versions.

Secondly, I know it may be a dumb question, but you did have the autosave app running? An easier way to test it is to just open a new document and leave it. After the time specified, a save dialog should pop up as would happen normally the first time you press command - s.

Edited by Graham

karinlord    0
Firstly, I can only guarantee this with iWork 08 on Leopard, since that's what I'm running. I have no idea if it will work with older versions.

Secondly, I know it may be a dumb question, but you did have the autosave app running? An easier way to test it is to just open a new document and leave it. After the time specified, a save dialog should pop up as would happen normally the first time you press command - s.

I am using iWork'08 and Leopard fully patched.

No dumb questions - just potential of problem between directions given and my ability to use those directions accurately <g>.

So I went back and clicked on the "autosave iPages" script I have saved in Applications. I got a little white and black checked beachball which goes away if I click on any open window. I have confirmed the script is running (icon shows in dock). I have opened Pages to a blank page and left it running for more than enough time - but no save screen comes up.

Graham    1

It will only try to save if the document has been modified too, so ensure that something is actually being typed. I just copy-pasted the code from this thread to make sure I hadn't made a typo or something, and it works fine for me.

karinlord    0
It will only try to save if the document has been modified too, so ensure that something is actually being typed. I just copy-pasted the code from this thread to make sure I hadn't made a typo or something, and it works fine for me.

Thank-you. It is working now. And I added a little automator so that when I click on the icon for Pages it also executes the autosave script (same for Numbers and Keynote).