Sign in to follow this  

mTorbin's Unofficial Space Saver Method

mTorbin's Unofficial Space Saver Method (that I learned from Jeff Greenberg)

The basic idea here is to place large directories of files that think they "need" to be on the boot drive on an external drive to save space. This works great with iTunes, iPhoto and GarageBand just to name a few

For this example, we're going to use iTunes:

[*] Locate your iTunes music folder: Macintosh HD>Users>[YOU]>Music>iTunes

[*] COPY the entire iTunes folder to another drive (for me it's my internal archive drive)

[*] MOVE the directory you copied (the one on your boot disk) to the trash.

[*] HOLDING DOWN THE APPLE KEY AND THE OPTION KEY, drag the copied directory BACK to the original location. This will create an alias there. Tiger won't know the difference, but your harddrive will.

In my case, this saved me 20GB just from iTunes alone! The best part is, it backs itself up. Let's say your boot drive crashes (yeah, I know... it's a Mac. Just play along). Oh no, you lost everything! Whatever will you do? Oh wait, your iTunes is already backed up. Just fix your boot disk and recreate the alias and you're back in business.

- MT

I actually store my iTunes folder on an external firewire drive already. However, I didn't do the alias trick, I just changed my iTunes folder to the firewire drive location. The reason for this was that I only have a 40gb HD, with about 20 GB of music, and it was taking up too much space. That alias trickis a good idea though, and I might give it a try... Thanks...

Unfortunately, with some software like GarageBand, you MUST have all of those HUGE audio files on your boot disk... or at leat make the Mac believe that they are. The default installation takes up 4GB which, with this trick, you can now move to an external drive.

- MT