Sign in to follow this  
Macsmile4

USB Internet Connection?

Hi All,

I have an iBook Clamshell. I would like to get an internet connection through the USB port on the computer. Is it possible. My Dad was doing this when he moved, because he didn't have WiFi, but I can't find any way in OS X to set one up. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is then how can I set up a USB Connection?

Thanks

Sorry,

I should have been more descriptive of what I wanted t do. I wanted to set up a connection from my router through USB to my iBook. My router has a USB Port on it. Can anyone help?

Not if you don't give more details as to the make and model of the router. On many routers it's just a configuration port, or if it can be used for networking, it requires windows drivers.

Ok here are my router details. Before I start it does say Mac compatible on the box.

Make: Netgear

Model: DG632

ADSL Modem Router

Single Ethernet Port

Single USB Port

Are there anyother details that I should post up here, like firmware version?

Thanks

Well I looked at the manual and it made no mention of Macs when talking about connecting using the USB port. You can give it a try I guess. You will need drivers however, and there are only Windows drivers available on the netgear site, so unless there are mac drivers on the CD, I expect you're out of luck.