Gdgaiennie

720p vs 1080p

I know this isn't directly mac related but i figured there would be some knowledgeable people who would know about this. I was reading an article saying that a 720p TV was just about as good as 1080p TV. What does everyone think?

Really, it depends on the size of the TV. If you aren't getting a 40"+ TV, there is no need for 1080p, you won't even see the difference across the room.

You should also keep in mind that there isn't very much content available in 1080p. The only content I know of is MacBreak HD and Blu-ray.

I know this isn't directly mac related but i figured there would be some knowledgeable people who would know about this. I was reading an article saying that a 720p TV was just about as good as 1080p TV. What does everyone think?

I have tested both, not in a lab with loads of fancy benchmarking tools but from my sofa at home in my living room and i can tell you it makes no difference at all.

Don't believe the hype ;)

I have tested both, not in a lab with loads of fancy benchmarking tools but from my sofa at home in my living room and i can tell you it makes no difference at all.

Don't believe the hype ;)

I have a Sony 46" LCD 720p model. I did a lot of research and nearly everyone I talked to and read online said that the average person will not notice the difference between 720 and 1080. It also depends on what kind of signal you'll be feeding to it. DVDs are 480, my TV is 720p and my cable is 1080i for example.

Also I found that most people do not properly set up their HDTVs, they just use the factory settings and do not make adjustments for the room the TV is in.

For the money, I didn't think that 1080 was worth it since I would probably not notice the difference. Also since most of my media isn't 1080, the TV would have to upconvert the lesser resolutions instead of taking a higher quality signal and downconverting it to match the TV resolution.

That's what I think.

roog

I think it really depends on the person watching and the size of the TV.

I have a 42" Pano 1080p set and really can't tell between 720p and 1080p. But that's because of the size of the set and the distance I sit from it (about 10 feet).

However, if you have a 65"+ set you might notice subtle differences but you will probably have excellent eye sight and be sitting quite close.

For the price of 1080p sets now, you can get them at pretty good prices.

Just make sure the set you consider has enough AV connections for what you have now and what you are considering over the next year.

I would check out reviews (both professional and users), make a list and then check them out in person for yourself.

Ignore the tech specs.

I would steer clear of low end brands though since you'll be asking for trouble in the end.