carvern

VPN with Time Capsule

I have an XP work machine at home. My office is all XP and uses a Sonic Wall firewall and I have Sonic Wall VPN client software on my home XP machine.

I just bought the 500 GB Time Capsule and use Roadrunner for broadband. I go from the cable modem to the Time Capsule WAN port and plugged my XP machine into an ethernet port on the Time Capsule. Everything works great, EXCEPT I can't use the VPN connection. Time Capsule must be blocking it somehow.

I fiddled around for several days and my network people at work say "we don't know anything about Apple products". I looked at Apple's website and it seems lots of folks have problems with the VPN issue.

What my network people suggested was I put my D Link router back between the cable modem and the Time Capsule and go from the D Link to an Ethernet jack on the TC, but NOT the WAN port. This way the TC isn't going to route any traffic to other devices plugged into the other ethernet ports on the TC. This works fine, but I would really like to keep it nice and simple: Cable Modem to TC and everything else plugged into the TC.

Suggestions?

I have an XP work machine at home. My office is all XP and uses a Sonic Wall firewall and I have Sonic Wall VPN client software on my home XP machine.

I just bought the 500 GB Time Capsule and use Roadrunner for broadband. I go from the cable modem to the Time Capsule WAN port and plugged my XP machine into an ethernet port on the Time Capsule. Everything works great, EXCEPT I can't use the VPN connection. Time Capsule must be blocking it somehow.

I fiddled around for several days and my network people at work say "we don't know anything about Apple products". I looked at Apple's website and it seems lots of folks have problems with the VPN issue.

What my network people suggested was I put my D Link router back between the cable modem and the Time Capsule and go from the D Link to an Ethernet jack on the TC, but NOT the WAN port. This way the TC isn't going to route any traffic to other devices plugged into the other ethernet ports on the TC. This works fine, but I would really like to keep it nice and simple: Cable Modem to TC and everything else plugged into the TC.

Suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the SonicWall VPN software, but I can verify that at least some VPN software works through TimeCapsule. I've had no problems using my Cisco VPN software through TC.

- Tim

Did you have to do port forwarding to get the Cisco VPN softwre to work?

"I'm not familiar with the SonicWall VPN software, but I can verify that at least some VPN software works through TimeCapsule. I've had no problems using my Cisco VPN software through TC.

- Tim"

Did you have to do port forwarding to get the Cisco VPN softwre to work?

"I'm not familiar with the SonicWall VPN software, but I can verify that at least some VPN software works through TimeCapsule. I've had no problems using my Cisco VPN software through TC.

- Tim"

No special setup was required. No port forwarding or anything like that.

It may be possible that the Cisco VPN SW I have installed is doing some stuff behind the scenes - I've never poked around to see what is happening. All I know is I start my VPN client, hit the connect button, enter my password and numeric code from my SecurID token, and then I'm done.

- Tim