Sign in to follow this  
WVMikeP

Upgrade dilema

So, after 4 years, I'm looking to upgrade from my Dual G5/1.8 to something more modern. Basically, World of Warcraft, Lightroom, and Photoshop CS3 don't perform all that great on it. Mobility would be nice, but it's not so critical that I couldn't keep borrowing my wife's iBook.

Questions I have are:

How do the current crop of iMacs hold up with WoW and PS without making sacrifices in WoW outside of "fullscreen glow?"

Can the MacBook Pro be used such that when at my desk, the primary workspace is my external monitor (20" widescreen)?

Does anyone else have similar requirements that would be able to point me to the right model (or family)? Though doable, the anticpated $3K pricetags I've been seeing have me kind of mortified (my wife even moreso).

An iMac will easily run it (although I'd upgrade the RAM, 1Gb is nothing these days).

And yes, a macbook pro can be used with an external monitor to extend your desktop (I do this every day at home and work).

Thanks, but as far as the external monitor setup is concerned, I'd like all my apps to be on my external monitor (menus and all). Is this doable without reconfiguring the desktop each time I switch between being remote and all connected at the desk?

Thanks, but as far as the external monitor setup is concerned, I'd like all my apps to be on my external monitor (menus and all). Is this doable without reconfiguring the desktop each time I switch between being remote and all connected at the desk?

Yeah you can do this. You go to System Preferences -> Displays -> and I think Display Layout or something like that. It will only show up when you have your external monitor hooked up. But basically, you'll see an image with two monitors, one of them showing a menubar on it. Just drag the menubar to the external monitor and it will put your dock and menubar on the external monitor (i.e. making it your primary monitor). I've done this with my Macbook Pro in the past. If you don't see it (if you go that route) let me know and I'll look it up for you to find out exactly what it is. Hope this helps.

P.S. This also saves these settings. After you do this once, every time you hook up your external monitor, it will become your primary monitor.

Edited by groomsy57

2214487400_81515facdd_o.jpg Edited by Graham

Yeah you can do this. You go to System Preferences -> Displays -> and I think Display Layout or something like that. It will only show up when you have your external monitor hooked up. But basically, you'll see an image with two monitors, one of them showing a menubar on it. Just drag the menubar to the external monitor and it will put your dock and menubar on the external monitor (i.e. making it your primary monitor). I've done this with my Macbook Pro in the past. If you don't see it (if you go that route) let me know and I'll look it up for you to find out exactly what it is. Hope this helps.

P.S. This also saves these settings. After you do this once, every time you hook up your external monitor, it will become your primary monitor.

Thanks. I was concerned it wouldn't save the settings and I'd have to go through that each time.

Now, I just need to determine how important mobility is to me. Fortunately, I've got a couple months to work that out.

Just wanted to add that if your getting the macbook pro you should be prepared for around $3,000. Don't expect that your going to get it for much less than that. By the time you upgrade the hard drive, worth doing on the macbook pro since it's damn hard to do yourself, and get applecare plus buy some extra RAM and remember tax your gonna be at or above $3,000.

Yes, I definitely recommend getting the HD upgraded when you buy it. The apple store won't do it after purchase, and my local reseller charges the earth for an "apple approved" drive. They can do it for about half the price if I'm prepared to wave bye bye to my applecare.