joenspa

I want to add a forum to my site

I am building a site for my business using Rapidweaver and would like to add a forum. I don't know much, hence Rapidweaver. Can anyone point me in a good direction.

the first step would be to decide if you are hosting it on your sites server or a company that hosts forums, such as My Fast Forums.

i always have used where it is on my own server where most if not all require your server to have MySQL on it. you just upload the folder to the server, direct your browser there and run though the setup that it has where you enter the MySQL information.

there is PHPBB, Invasion Board(Maccast Forum), and some others i cant remember at the moment.

Edited by sttrek341

Yer, if you were intending to use the forums a lot then i'd go for Invision Power Board and get the MySQL so you can host it. However, if its just a small forum then I recommend Invisionfree or Zetaboards and embedding them into your page using a iframe (I think its a iframe!)

Firstly, I'd have to ask why you need a forum. I'd try having a blog with comments on first. The hardest thing is to try and get an online community going. If you don't have something to attract people there in the first place (like Adam does with the podcast), it's pretty much guaranteed to fail.

I'd ask over at the RW forums. The head of the support team, Nik, is one of my best friends (he's the other fool who queued up for the best part of a day and a half at the UK iPhone launch) and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

[edit] Nik pointed me at this, but neither of us have used it, so we can't attest to its quality.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/addons/prod...?product_id=343

Edited by Graham

Firstly, I'd have to ask why you need a forum. I'd try having a blog with comments on first. The hardest thing is to try and get an online community going. If you don't have something to attract people there in the first place (like Adam does with the podcast), it's pretty much guaranteed to fail.

I'd ask over at the RW forums. The head of the support team, Nik, is one of my best friends (he's the other fool who queued up for the best part of a day and a half at the UK iPhone launch) and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

[edit] Nik pointed me at this, but neither of us have used it, so we can't attest to its quality.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/addons/prod...?product_id=343

I want to set it up as a forum because I really think my little community will make better use of it that way than me just blogging and them making comments. I'll try to explain briefly what I / we are doing.

I work in audio on the Olympics. There is a small group of us that have done several Olympics and another small group that are first timers. Since experience varies and host countries vary their is always something new hitting us. However we also only do this every 2 years so it's use will greatly flucuate. Hence I don't want to sink a lot of time and money into it but I do need to do something.

Sounds like someone else hosting and then embedding it into my site is the best shot. I'm going to look into that but feel free to add more info or ideas. Thanks.

Phpbb.net will give you a free forum. I haven't tried it, but I've heard it's really good.

I went with InvisionFree and it's doing the job. Thanks everyone.

I went with InvisionFree and it's doing the job. Thanks everyone.

I just saw a site that rated that one really highly as well. How's it working for you so far?

I just saw a site that rated that one really highly as well. How's it working for you so far?

InvisioFree is working great and doing exactly what we wanted. I've figured out a good bit of it already. I would recommend it to anyone looking to setup a forum for free.