Sign in to follow this  
shockwavedave

Internet Sharing - Router to Router?

So I'm getting a roommate and am trying to figure out how to make all of our devices work. Currently My internet is routed through the Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n (1st gen, no gigabit ethernet ports). It sends wirelessly to my MacBook and Apple TV almost flawlessly, and via ethernet to the xbox 360. Joe will have a computer(no wireless) and a 360 in his room. My thoughts were to have him get an airport extreme or express and then wire his 2 devices through that. He doesn't have a mac, but is mac-curious and after being around all my mac stuff I'm sure he'll switch soon. Thoughts on the best route (pun intended) to take? thanks.

Dave

You could do that with a second extreme using WDS. The ethernet port on the express is WAN only, so it wouldn't be useful in this case.

Graham,

Thanks for your input on everything. However, I didn't understand a word you just said. Could you please elaborate. Thanks.

Get another airport extreme.

Setting it up is pretty easy, and you'll see what I mean when you hook up the second extreme.

You just tell you current extreme that it can be extended, and then set the new one to extend the network. (I think. It's been a while since I've done this using all apple hardware.)

But in short, any other info will be wasted until you're actually looking at a network with two extremes on, so in the unlikely event you need help setting it up, come back once you've got the router.

Just a 2nd thought. What do you think about an Airport Express + adding an 802.11n wireless card to his PC? We could use the wireless to go to the pc and the ethernet port on the airport express to go to his xbox 360. Just a thought, I haven't priced wireless cards so I don't even know how big of a difference that would make price-wise vs just getting the airport extreme.

As I said before, the ethernet port on the express is a WAN port i.e. input only, so no that won't work.

As I said before, the ethernet port on the express is a WAN port i.e. input only, so no that won't work.

Actually that is not true. It is strange; but that ethernet port is for both WAN and LAN.

So to answer the original question. Yes, you may use either express or extreme to do the same thing. You will need another router to hook up with the express and then you can really do whatever you want (wired or wireless g network)

Keep in mind that, the express is not as powerful as the base station though. I am about to do the same thing with my ps3 and wii. Let's me know if it works for you. Otherwise, I will try this next week as well.

Oh. here is the faq

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108038

check out question number #5

good luck

ray

Edited by alpharay

I've no idea why it says that, I've never been able to get it working with my express (and I have a degree in computer networking, I'm not exactly a newbie here).

Yes, I'm familiar with that page. I'm not saying WDS doesn't work, I've used it many times when it's impossible to lay a cable (due to the awful performance of WDS a cable is always preferable). I'm just saying the express's ethernet port (at least that of the old model, I've not had a play with the new one since it's limitation of 10 clients has ruled it out of all the network installations I've done recently) is a WAN only port (apart from configuration).

Edited by Graham

Sorry, the WDS page is actually meant for the original poster. I think it will help him understand the network.

Graham, you are making me very curious now. I think I may go get the new express and try it out tonight.

I will report back tomorrow.

stay tune.

ray

Yes, I'm familiar with that page. I'm not saying WDS doesn't work, I've used it many times when it's impossible to lay a cable (due to the awful performance of WDS). I'm just saying the express's ethernet port (at least that of the old model, I've not had a play with the new one since it's limitation of 10 clients has ruled it out of all the network installations I've done recently) is a WAN only port (apart from configuration).

Hey,

I got it working.

So now, I have my Extreme as Base and Express as Remote and wired to my Mac Mini. All are sharing the same "n" network.

Few key point here.

1) you are setting up WDS network. The Extreme is your Main Station; and the Express is the Remote.

2) write down both Airport ID numbers. You need them to reference each other.

So the Extreme will put the Express' Airport ID as wireless client; and Express will put Extreme's Airport ID as Main station.

3) I am not sure about this one; but I set to allow the Main station's wireless network to be extended.

4) Here is the key. From the Express, set up the wireless information to match your Extreme station. You are NOT setting a new wireless network, you are "joining' the Extreme's network.

After a minute for both devices to find each other, you will have a wired network to your Express. Pretty cool.

The next thing I will try is to have the Express to hookup to an ethernet to ethernet router. No more 10 clients limit. I should be able to hook up my PS3 and Wii to share the same "n" network.

The only concern I have is performance. The external router will help; but I will not know for sure until I give it a try.

Stay tune for that result.

ray

The limiting factor in any WDS network is the WDS link itself. WDS is painfully slow. Like I said before, I really do try to avoid it whenever possible.

Wow, I didn't know I'd start such a fight. J/K.

The move is Sunday, Internet hooked up Tuesday. Though the roommate keeps saying "Why is Apple so expensive? Everybody else tells me routers are like $50." I explained to him that apple products have a premium and this is more future proof and it'll be easier(for me) to set up, especially if/when he gets a mac. Expect posts Tuesday or Wed. Thanks again!

Wow, I didn't know I'd start such a fight. J/K.

The move is Sunday, Internet hooked up Tuesday. Though the roommate keeps saying "Why is Apple so expensive? Everybody else tells me routers are like $50." I explained to him that apple products have a premium and this is more future proof and it'll be easier(for me) to set up, especially if/when he gets a mac. Expect posts Tuesday or Wed. Thanks again!

hahah.. is a good fight.

Once you get the network working it is very cool; WDS may be slow. I don't really know for sure; but I have heard anytime you extended the wireless network, the bandwidth will drop.

However, the setup I have is not that bad. Basically, I just treat the Express as a external 802.11n adaptor. It does not broadcast anything wirelessly, it just bridge everything through. Of course we are here in US, the speed is slow anyway, what different does it make. :(

I will get some real data next time too.

ray

Network throughput is halved for every node you have after the main base station.

We are getting his airport extreme today. Though he was looking at linksys G routers wondering why apple's is so expensive. What steps do we take to get this up and running, to use his extreme as a bridge? Do I just run the install cd on his computer? Will there be an issue when I'm gone in Japan for several months or should it be ok just to leave the cable modem and my extreme plugged in? thanks.

Dave

Why did you end up getting the extreme and not the express in the end? Also he could have gotten various other wireless devices but all of the ones that can be used to extend a network tend to be expensive. For example the WRE54G is the linksys version of the airport express but it doesn't have wireless printing or work as a remote itunes speaker adapter plus it's not 802.11n and for that it costs about the same.