Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Sharing

Hi Guys

We have two iMacs in our house both running Leopard and we also use Airport Base Station. We both have sharing on.

I would like to set up a LAN to transfer files.

The other iMac appears in the finder but when I selecting I get told connection failed.

Could you let me know what setting I would have to set up a LAN.

Thanks

Dan

Firstly, make sure that file sharing is enabled in the sharing pane of each computer's system preferences.

I get the same problem alot when trying to connect to Windows Machines from the Network part of the Finder. However, it works fine if I go to Go > Connect to Server (or hit command+K) and connect with the IP addresses (smb://IP.ADD.RE.SS for windows computers, afp://IP.ADD.RE.SS for macs.)

If it does work for you that way then it may be worth it to staticly assign IP Addresses to your computers and then just make aliases to the mounted folder once you get connected.

If that doesnt work either, then check to make sure your firewall is open for file sharing.

Thanks for the replies

I checked file sharing and thats on with AFP. I also checked the firewalls on both macs and I have my firewall set to Allow only essential services.

We are on the same network.

I am really stuck. How can this be so hard.

Thanks

Dan

The process of elimination begins. Firstly, I'd turn off your firewall completely just to make sure it's not getting blocked there. If that works, then we can start poking just enough holes in your firewall to get things going.