Dolphbucs

Loop # 49

Dolphbucs    2

Just for my $.02, one point that I think was talked around but not quite covered on the podcast was this. Let's say Apple did make a Tower with limited expandability ... and let's say they were able to sell it for $900 ( surely Apple would have to price it above the Mac Mini or else they might just as well discontinue the Mini ). I think there would be a real problem getting it to sell. Inevitably, potential switchers would start to compare the exact specs to those of a cheaper Dell Tower and complain about the price ( especially in the enterprise market ). They would fail to see the value of using OS X in a stable environment as being worth the extra expense in the same way that, as pointed out in the podcast, they can't "justify" the "added expense" of the labor involved in maintaining a Mac Mini.

Therefore the only solid consumer base for the product would be current users of iMacs who want easier access to minor ( and possibly some major ) upgrades. Granted there are some of us out there, but I don't think there are enough to warrant the addition of a separate product. Add to that the issue of additional customer support issues that would crop up with the myriad possible combinations of hardware configurations ( yes I realize they could cover themselves in the way Victor suggested, but people would still be calling Apple and the phone staff would still be having to answer the calls .... not to mention the negative PR of having to tell people that they aren't supported ).

This is why I agree with Adam that the only course of action that would make sense would be to upgrade/replace the mini with the new Mini-Tower format. You would then have the demand of people wanting a Mac-Mini device added to that of those wanting expandability ... and that might be just enough to make the product marketable.

But, does the Mac community as a whole really want to go down this road? I'm a former PC user myself ( switched early 2006 ) and I can't help but feel that this move would make Macs more like PC's in one more way. Do we want the only difference between a PC and a Mac to be the OS it is running? Or do we want to cling to the design, form factor and ease of use that drew many of us to Apple in the first place? I'm not sure myself, but it is something to think about and probably not the least of the many debates going on within Apple as they continue to grow market share.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Huskermn    33

Well stated, Dolphbucs.

I agree with much of what has already been said.

Also, I think that the concept that there are a lot of Mac users out there who really want said device (something Victor said) stems from his and others Windows roots, not from relatively new Mac roots.

Granted, Mac roots come from the original Apples which were expandable, but those days have pretty much been gone since the Mac debuted.

I think the real question here is "What does Steve think of the idea?" And, while many people including me have been very wrong about what Steve is thinking for the future, I don't believe this is it.

well if they were to make it... i would buy it... as soon as i could get the 900 dollers.... cause to be honest there is no mac tha ti would either have to pay more money then i do, or sacrifice in an area that i don't want to.

If there was a mac that i could tinker with, i could upgrade myself (without completely voiding the warranty) i would be one of the first to buy it... also this would almost completely destroy the osx86 community... btw there is over 200,000 people registered on the main forums now i believe, and at any given moment there is 2,000 members on (not counting guests)

I really don't see a downside, i know your all worried about pr, about the "image" of apple and how it "just works"

But apple is losing the truly geeky customers because you have to spend 3 grand to get a good system that is user upgradeable... but then again the upgrades for that or so ridiculously priced that it isn't worth it...

Dolphbucs    2
Also, I think that the concept that there are a lot of Mac users out there who really want said device (something Victor said) stems from his and others Windows roots, not from relatively new Mac roots.

Yes!!! I was going to make that point but forgot to. Thank You. I don't know about other switchers, but I moved over to the Mac side because it was different. To then expect the Mac World to start adopting or adapting to the way things are on "the other side" just doesn't make sense to me. Like I said above, to me the Mac experience isn't just OS X.

hmm... i'm the exact opposite of victor... i've been using macs for since i was born... 15 and a half years to be exact... i find many people wish that they could do more customizing to their macs...