2farrell

AT&T Free Wi-Fi for iPhone Users

I know they converted the one right by my house to AT&T, but I've not tried it yet with my iPhone yet.

roog

Found this article (at Mac Rumours) that suggests that the AT&T Wi-Fi now being transferred from T-Mobile at Starbucks (and other AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots) will be free to iPhone Users.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/04/30/free-a...ss-for-iphones/

I went to my local Starbucks today, they have the AT&T access point but all I got on MobileSafari was the login screen, nothing about free access to iPhone users.

roog

I tried at the one in Horton Plaza in San Diego, and I got the "Mobile Wifi" login page, not the free iPhone one. Patience I guess.

yea i got the general login screen at a barnes n noble. nothing free for my iphone.

You'll love it if you ever get it. I use the free Cloud access I get for free with my UK iPhone bill all the time.

Still not here in Kansas. I went to the local Starbucks today and got the standard login page again.

roog

Still not here in Kansas. I went to the local Starbucks today and got the standard login page again.

roog

You know what, no wonder AT&T have such a bad name when they can't even get their act together.

This brief snippet (you have to scroll down a bit) - AT&T pulls references to free iPhone Wi-Fi

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/05...ges_return.html

All I gotta say is "make up your minds!!!!!!!!"

I believe this is what AT&T is going to offer iphone customers in place of the SMS messages that they are taking away from the plan. Ron

I believe this is what AT&T is going to offer iphone customers in place of the SMS messages that they are taking away from the plan. Ron

[rant]

Why would AT&T do that when they seem to be on a trend of "let's see how really desperate or stupid people are to own an iPhone3G by screwing them out of more money".

A - They've raised the Data Plan $10 to $30 per month, non negotiable.

B - Dropped the 200 Text Messages per month, now you have to pay $5 if you want to text message or per whatever per message (even if it's a spam message).

So, excuse me for being a skeptic. Seeing is believing.

[/rant]

Edited by 2farrell

Ron, I guess it depends on where you read your "news". As far as I can tell from the press release and from what AppleInsider reports, the 200 SMS messages are staying:

Data plans must be purchased in addition to standard calling plans, which will begin at $40 for both home and business users and include at least 450 minutes of calling time, 5,000 evening and weekend minutes, 200 SMS text messages, and Visual Voicemail.

But to clarify, the 200 SMS messages are part of the calling plan, not the data plan. I'm pretty sure it was always that way. They didn't remove it from the data plan.

I have an update I heard from an AT&T official on the radio today that they have never announced they were removing the SMS package from the iphone 3G users. They are still however determining the plans. So we will just have to wait and see. Getting free wifi access would be a nice perk though.

Ron, I guess it depends on where you read your "news". As far as I can tell from the press release and from what AppleInsider reports, the 200 SMS messages are staying:

But to clarify, the 200 SMS messages are part of the calling plan, not the data plan. I'm pretty sure it was always that way. They didn't remove it from the data plan.

i believe the sms were part of the data or at least that is how apple's site use to depict the data plans.

i believe the sms were part of the data or at least that is how apple's site use to depict the data plans.

Still no free wifi at my Starbucks, it wants me to login.

roog

IT'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report from iPhone Alley :-

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/atampt-fin...nce-and-for-all?

I be checking it out at Raleigh-Durham Airport this morning and post on the findings.

Let's see if AT&T are playing around again or not.

So much for that, at least here at Raleigh-Durham Airport.

No obvious way to log in on iPhone.

Maybe I'll give AT&T a call when I get back home.

Unless more info is forthcoming in the mean time.

nope, it was another mistake

AT&T must be some of the most disorganized buffoons on the planet.

And they wonder why the always score such low ratings on most things.

Not that it helps too much but if you have a Starbucks Card and register it, you get 2 hours per day of Free AT&T Wi-Fi connections as long as you use the card at least once a month.

Not the cheapest work around but something in the mean time while they jerk iPhone users around.

Here we go again :-

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet...essing-wifi.jsp

Hope this sticks.

I'll try this out when I get to a hotspot but in the mean time anyone else want to check this out?

I checked my nearby Starbucks this morning, I couldn't even get a WiFi signal at all there, much less anything free.

:-(

roog

I got a text message yesterday saying I now have free wifi at AT&T hotspots.

It works. I am typing this up on my iPhone at a McDonalds. For months I have been using EDGE when surfing the web and whatnot. This will make it a bit zippier.