Major Minor

Xbox 360 connected to mac

hello,

I recently bought an xbox 360 and wanted to connect it to the internet, but my modem and airport is upstairs, so i cannot connect my xbox through ethernet cables. I know they make wireless adapters for the xbox but was just wondering if there was anyway to connect my xbox to the internet using my imac which uses the wireless internet so i didn't have to pay an extra $100. If anyone knew a solution please post back, it's greatly appreciated.

chris :rolleyes:

In the Sharing Pane of System Preferences, go to Internet Sharing, for Share your connection from:, put Airport, and for "To Computers Using", select Ethernet. Then put a check on Internet Sharing (for Leopard) or hit Turn On Sharing or something (for Tiger) Then plug in the xbox360 to the ethernet of your Imac, it should automatically set itself up (make sure that in the xbox's network settings that its set for DHCP).

Edited by ithonicfury

In the Sharing Pane of System Preferences, go to Internet Sharing, for Share your connection from:, put Airport, and for "To Computers Using", select Ethernet. Then put a check on Internet Sharing (for Leopard) or hit Turn On Sharing or something (for Tiger) Then plug in the xbox360 to the ethernet of your Imac, it should automatically set itself up (make sure that in the xbox's network settings that its set for DHCP).

ok, thats what i thought, i have tried this before and the xbox says that it is connected to my computer, but always has problems finding the IP address. I'm not sure if i can manually put my IP address in my xbox or not.

thanks

chris

If its not automatically picking it up, then try manually putting it in.

It would be something in 192.168.2.x IP range, the default gateway would be 192.168.2.1

I've had some problem with using the shared computer as DNS, so i usually use OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ), or your ISPs DNS servers.

alright thanks i'll give that a shot. Just wondering though, has anyone here ever actually done this before, because i've heard of it but never seen it. Just wanted to know.

thanks

I have several computers connecting to the internet through a Mac Mini right now, and have connected a Wii to it by sharing it over the Airport too, so it shouldnt be any problem with a 360.

Well i finally got the IP and DNS address to work, but something called the MTU? Maximum Transmission Unit failed during the internet test on the xbox. I think it might have to do with my ethernet cable not being fast enough or something. Microsoft says that the mtu has to be between 1364 and 1500. But im not sure what this is or how to change it.