Huskermn

Buy now or wait? Apple products.

Huskermn    33

This is more an FYI than a question, but this comes up in the forum SO frequently, I decided to Pin the topic in general.

The definitive answer to this question is:

I suggest checking the MacRumors Buyer's Guide as they have the best info available on Apple revision schedules and good research links.

Then, it's up to you. There is ALWAYS something new coming out in X months. SO, if you're going to wait for it, you can wait forever because even right after an update, there might be something newer soon. I mean no disrespect to anyone, nor am I trying to eliminate discussion, it's just my opinion from 30+ years of being a geek.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Graham    1

Just want to add: "Do you have any idea when feature X is going to be added to product Z?"

No. Since apple are always so forthcoming with their future products. Check the buyers guide linked above. If anyone did know anything, it would be more than their job was worth to say anything.

Paul H    0

More rumors!

You might wait until September, should price be an issue.

Apple hints at something new

in part, this story says:

Apple is widely expected to be getting ready to refresh its line of notebook computers, and there is some speculation that it may introduce a new kind of device that is smaller than a laptop but larger than an iPhone. In several ways, Apple executives hinted that this new product would compete aggressively on price with rival devices. . . .

For years, Apple pursued a premium pricing strategy, reflecting its status as a niche vendor. The music player business, in which Apple has the dominant market share, moved the company toward a more mainstream pricing philosophy.The warning Monday "has to mean significant price changes in one of their major products," said A.M. Sacconaghi Jr., a securities analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein. "Gross margins should be going up as the iPhone kicks in."

Low pricing was a key factor in the revival of Apple's sales of iPods, which have been sluggish recently."

Edited by Paul H

I'm my opinion since the switch to intel chips ANY mac between here and then is perfectly fine for me. So I would recommend buying the PREVIOUS version of a product right after a upgrade. that way you get it for a large discount and its still practically the top of the line!

thats how I've bought all my macs to date and they are plenty fast for me. (and much cheaper than buying them "fresh")

I'm my opinion since the switch to intel chips ANY mac between here and then is perfectly fine for me. So I would recommend buying the PREVIOUS version of a product right after a upgrade. that way you get it for a large discount and its still practically the top of the line!

thats how I've bought all my macs to date and they are plenty fast for me. (and much cheaper than buying them "fresh")

like for example now is the perfect time to buy a previous version macbook and macbook pro because they are practically the same machine (other than the enclosure and a slightly slower video card) but you get it for big discounts.

This doesn't apply if there's a sea change in technology - e.g. 802.11g to 802.11n wireless support - as may well be the case with the supposedly-imminent Mac mini refresh. If you ended up getting an old model (i.e. 802.11g) and all your other clients were on an 802.11n network your network standard would drop to 802.11g. (To overcome this you could set up two wireless networks - advice about which can be found here.) Mind you it would be unusual in a domestic environment, which is what we're really speaking of here, to have such a need for speed given that the theoretical 54 Mbps speed of 802.11g is nowhere near as fast as most Internet connections and so will suffice - though it's always nice to have the extra afforded by 802.11n when passing large files such as video media between clients.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

themole    0

ANGST!

I was intending to start a new topic, but as my story falls under this category, then I guess it is best to write it here.

I discovered the mac 6 years ago as my work "forced" me to buy what became a treasure, my Powerbook 15", 1.5Ghz. My first geek podcast was of course the maccast. I myself have become a full apple devotee and mac geek.

I used to be a teacher but I am now a design student. I really can't cope with the lack of power from my powerbook, yes, slightly ironic I know. It's almost impossible to use Adobe CS3 effectively and my CPU stutters when trying to play Flash and even youtube videos. Yep, it's way past the time to upgrade.

I have been hit with RSI so I need to make sure my next 6 year lifetime computer will see me through this. I have pretty much decided on the 13" macbook pro and use the money I save from not getting the 15" to buy an external screen to have at home. I still need a laptop as I work on the train, at school etc etc. This seems like a great time to upgrade due to the recent upgrades to the 13".

So why the angst?

1. Being a mac geek I'm scared. Scared that will some upgrade will take place in the next 2 months and I'll say "Gggggrrr"

2. I'm a student. The latest promotion is an ipod touch at a big reduction. I have an iphone, I don't need an ipod touch. I could sell it but it's fairly certain anew version will come and then it would be tricky to sell it for a decent price.

So, should I wait for the next promotion?

Does anyone have any knowledge of how soon Apple does another student promotion after the "back to school" one? I'd also appreciate any comforting words on my comments above.

Angst.

Thanks

pwbeninate    0
1. Being a mac geek I'm scared. Scared that will some upgrade will take place in the next 2 months and I'll say "Gggggrrr"

2. I'm a student. The latest promotion is an ipod touch at a big reduction. I have an iphone, I don't need an ipod touch. I could sell it but it's fairly certain anew version will come and then it would be tricky to sell it for a decent price.

So, should I wait for the next promotion?

Does anyone have any knowledge of how soon Apple does another student promotion after the "back to school" one? I'd also appreciate any comforting words on my comments above.

Apple typically does 1 Back to School promo each year beginning around July. Typically they will update a product shortly after the promo ends. I don't believe they run any other promotions like this. But I believe you can get $100 off a printer, or $30 off MobileMe any time. Also the educational pricing is available all the time.

themole    0
Apple typically does 1 Back to School promo each year beginning around July. Typically they will update a product shortly after the promo ends. I don't believe they run any other promotions like this. But I believe you can get $100 off a printer, or $30 off MobileMe any time. Also the educational pricing is available all the time.

There was, a while back, the printer promotion but it's not there right now, (in the Swedish store).

I have MobileMe.

Thanks

macboer    1

I TOTALLY agree with @Huskermn

I do think that if there's a possibility that a new product will come out in less than 2 months AND you can afford to wait, then you should wait.

Waiting is always good, but not always the smart choice. There is a super slim chance of disappointment if you buy a device that gets replaced a month later.

johnfoster    48

there is no better time to buy technology. when you need something is exactly when you should buy something. you might have a new employee. you might have to replace something that died unexpectedly. you might have a project that requires a newer machine because of a software requirement.

so my rule is: don't wait. buy what you need when you need it. no really. make that purchase.

but because you're an Apple fan of some level of like there are some caveats that go with that rule:

1. if it's a Monday wait until Tuesday. for some stupid reason almost all Apple products are released on a Tuesday.

2. check the rumors. and the other press. just to be sure.

3. in store.apple.com all the delivery times indicate 1-2 days. if it's longer than that something is coming. see 2.

4. there are no product releases from Apple after September. they ride the line up they have in retail until after the new year.

5. there is no MacWorld Expo anymore. you don't have to expect a product announcement in January.

6. at this point it's all speed bumps. sometimes there's a chipset change. it won't matter. there will always be another better exactly the same priced box.

7. if you are really wanting the thing around the corner get the cheapest product possible and make it do until that new thing arrives.

8. consider another platform if the cutting edge is your thing. Apple is a baby about the cutting edge. no USB3. no Crossfire or SLI video cards. no SATA6. no eSATA. no 16 or 32 GB of RAM. no… I can go on and on here. thing is I run a bunch of machines and I really don't care what OS they are running as long as the job is getting done.

9. buying technology that is in front of you has advantage of being proven. that new thing is a new thing. who wants to be a pioneer?

10. Apple has a 14 day return policy. this gives you a tiny window to do some work and take it back if that newness arrives.

Edited by johnfoster

Chefpyro116    1

I'm looking at getting my first MacBook Pro soon as I payoff a few things. I had a few questions about what to buy and where to start.

13" vs 15"? where do I start?

Time Capsule worth the money for a backup or can I use my Seagate 1TB Hard Drive?

What about buying refurbished Macbook Pros?

What is the advantage to going this way besides saving $300 or so?

Has anyone bought a refurbed MBP?

Input welcomed. Thanks.

Jeremy

MacCast    80

Jeremy,

The size question is really about your personal preference and usage. I have always felt the 15-inch form factor is a nice balance between size and portability. Many disagree with me and think 13-inch is better. Some even prefer the 11-inch Macbook Air, but I think that is too small for my tastes in notebook. When I need that much portability I usually just reach for my iPad Air (of course only when my computing needs are a bit lighter).

In my opinion, avoid the Time Capsule, especially if you already have an external you can use for Time Machine. The newer Time Capsules do seem to work better, but I still get too many reports from people who claim they are too slow or fail them all together.

I am a big fan of refurbished Mac. You can save some money, maybe invest it in more RAM, and you get a machine that carries the same warranty as any other Mac. Also you know that Mac was individually tested and rebuilt at an Apple owned facility. It's a good deal all around. The only disadvantage is that you are usually buying an older model, so if you want/need the latest and greatest re-form is sometimes not an option.

johnfoster    48

the cheapest 13" MacBook Pro is the LAST of the user upgradeable Macs. you can put more RAM in it after the fact. you can replace the hard drive with a bigger one. and you can remove the CD/DVD, replacing it with a sled holding another harddrive. OR you can replace the hard drive with an SSD. you don't have to do this now, but three years from now all of these things will help make that Mac last a while longer.

use the cost difference you would spend on the bigger Mac to buy AppleCare. this will extend the warrantee to 3 years.

Time Capsules are expensive hard drives. buy two USB hard drives and pocket the money you don't spend or spend it on other things.