Sign in to follow this  
Phil Goodfellow

Sharing internet via new iMac to my iBook G4

Hi all,

I just unboxed my new 24" iMac (which is my newest mac in over 3 years!!!) and I have hooked it up directly to my ethernet connection. I was hoping to share my internet connection, wirelessly, through my iMac without a hardware router or base station. I have followed the Help Menu instructions to turn on internet sharing, but I cannot see my iMac as a connection point on my iBook. (By the way, the Help menu instructions are really quite bad!! Thank god for forums like this.) So does anyone have better instructions on how to sharing internet connection through my iMac.

My iBook G4 is using 10.3.9 and is paired with my first version (wireless a/b/g) Airport Express. Also, I cannot seem to find this Airport Express from my Airport Utilities on my iMac. I have reset the AE multiple times to try to force it to recognize it.

Thanks for all your help,

Phil Goodfellow

The first thing to do is to install the new version of Airport Utility, which if you don't have a new airport express / extreme / time capsule (and therefore a CD with the software already on there) is a pain in the arse. The procedure to do this is outlined at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...53&tstart=0

Then it should just be a matter of choosing the Airport icon on your iMac's menu bar and choosing Create Network.

But of course, ad-hoc networks are notoriously hard to set up. Is there any reason you're not putting your internet connection into the express and then using that to share everything (other than it not working at the moment!)?