James

Wireless modem routers and voip?

My Mum believes her netgear wireless modem is on the way out, she would like to know what should be the expected life span for a wireless modem. She's had it since about August 2005.

She would like to get an all in one wireless router, modem and built in voip port (limited power points). Our ISP has a Belkin/Netgear 4-port wireless, VoIP router

What do people think of it? Do people use something else or can recommend something else?

I assume by modem you mean router?

Pretty much any big name brand like Netgear, Linksys (what I use), etc. will be excellent. The model doesn't make much difference, just go with one that has the features you need. In any case, you should probably get an N router if it's going to be used for streaming video or transferring large files, but otherwise a G router will be more than enough. Adam has talked about this quite a bit on the shows.

I assume by modem you mean router?

Pretty much any big name brand like Netgear, Linksys (what I use), etc. will be excellent. The model doesn't make much difference, just go with one that has the features you need. In any case, you should probably get an N router if it's going to be used for streaming video or transferring large files, but otherwise a G router will be more than enough. Adam has talked about this quite a bit on the shows.

I mean an adsl modem and router. Unfortunately my mum often asks me to do her IT support, and it can be so bad that I stopped doing over the phone support anymore and one of the reasons why I left the IT field.

Edited by James

I like belkin products a lot. They support macs, unlike netgear and linksys, and they have free 24/7 phone tech support. It's a good choice for a mom who you don't want to support over the phone.

The other issue is how long should one of these last? What is the average life span on one of adsl modem wireless routers etc?

Depends on:

The conditions: Is it covered in dust? Is it lovingly cleaned every five minutes? Is it baking hot or kept nice and cool in an air conditioned room?

Usage: Is it turned off every night, or is it left on 24/7? (I leave mine on 24/7 btw)

Unless it's kept in a perfect environment, it's a little short but it's not too far off. Getting on for three years now.