mdkleinmd

Converting video tape to dvd

I am trying to take my old vcr videotapes of my son's hockey games to DVD. I have done a few successfully, but many seem to stop after a few minutes. I am using a DAC-200 analog to digital video convertor box. The tape seems to play well as it records, but after ten to 12 minutes something happens. When I look at the video in iMovie, the whole thing has not recorded, but only part of it. I have tried to do this to the Mac Book Pro drive and to an external Lacie and get the same result. Do I need to record shorter segments or am I just doing something wrong. I have the DAC-200 and the Lacie hard drive connected via a firewire hub to the Mac Book Pro firewire port.

I'm not at all sure, but I would guess it has something to do with using a hub and/or saving the video to the external rather than the internal (no idea if you're doing that but I think it could pose problems).

Basically, if it were me, I would go direct to the FW port and internal HD. Then, if you want, you can move to the external.

If you're using iMovie 08, try using the old version (it's a free download if you have 08.) I've heard of this issue with 08 once before, and if nothing else you could use 06 until you figure out what's wrong.

Earlier versions of iMovie (HD '05 methinks) limited the size of imports - what exactly I forget - though if you're using a MBP my guess is you're on a later version.

The following help in HD '05...

If you have FileVault turned on in Mac OS X version, you may experience difficulties importing digital video. To work around this, move your iMovie HD project to a location outside your home folder while you are working with iMovie HD. A good location is the Shared folder, located in the Users folder on your hard disk.

...may be relevant to the version you're using.

Finally, the 10 to 12 minute limits you mention sounds like a 4GB file was created - which is the limit on FAT 32 - so if your LaCie drive is formatted so then that's probably the cause.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I am trying to take my old vcr videotapes of my son's hockey games to DVD. I have done a few successfully, but many seem to stop after a few minutes. I am using a DAC-200 analog to digital video convertor box. The tape seems to play well as it records, but after ten to 12 minutes something happens. When I look at the video in iMovie, the whole thing has not recorded, but only part of it. I have tried to do this to the Mac Book Pro drive and to an external Lacie and get the same result. Do I need to record shorter segments or am I just doing something wrong. I have the DAC-200 and the Lacie hard drive connected via a firewire hub to the Mac Book Pro firewire port.

If you want to try a non Mac solution you might want to look at The Neuros OSD.

http://www.neurostechnology.com/

This will allow you to get your media from your camera to a HD or a DVD. Downside is that is will cost you some money. Check it out.

If you're using iMovie 08, try using the old version (it's a free download if you have 08.) I've heard of this issue with 08 once before, and if nothing else you could use 06 until you figure out what's wrong.

It worked fairly well. I had a little trouble finding iMovie 06, but downloaded it and am using it. There are still a few hitches, but editing and then saving files back and forth to a Lacie external drive has helped. I do also record via a direct firewire connection now. Then i save the movie to the Lacie, and then delete it from the Mac hard drive, and then empty the trash. To empty the trash I need to restart. hen I can create the DVD, usually by sharing from iMovie 06 with iDVD. With the movie off the Mac hard drive, there is enough room to do this.

Thanks to everyone who answered. I am in business.

I don't understand why you would need to Restart to empty the Trash.