joshr

Mozy

12 posts in this topic

I see they have recently released a v1.0 for the mac. Anyone using it since the update that can comment on it? I had heard that the old mac client was no good and wondered if it's usable now.

I see they have recently released a v1.0 for the mac. Anyone using it since the update that can comment on it? I had heard that the old mac client was no good and wondered if it's usable now.

I've been using Mozy for Mac for about 5 months now I think and have used it to back up over 45GB of data.

When it works, it is great but since the release of 1.0 the service itself has become very unreliable - all kinds of server errors which have meant that I've only been able to upload a few dozens of MB a day (with the result that I have over 8 GB of data waiting to upload). I've contacted support and they admit there is a problem which they are working on.

Today my iMac died on me (I suspect a PSU failure). My Mozy backup WOULD have been up to date, IF it worked reliably. I still have an up to date Time Machine backup, but I don't trust backups in the same physical location.

If I didn't already have a large investment in Mozy (it takes a LONG time to upload 45GB of data!), I would probably stop paying for it and wouldn't recommend other people use it until they have sorted their problems out.

These kinds of problems just shouldn't happen on systems that people rely on for keeping their data safe.

I use chronosync to back up my home folder to the stupid amount of space I get with dreamhost (something like 250Gb - more than I'll ever need for websites). I run it weekly since it takes quite a while to sort through what's already on the server although the actual backing up is reasonable. It can usually get through a week's worth of data overnight.

I use chronosync to back up my home folder to the stupid amount of space I get with dreamhost (something like 250Gb - more than I'll ever need for websites). I run it weekly since it takes quite a while to sort through what's already on the server although the actual backing up is reasonable. It can usually get through a week's worth of data overnight.

Sounds like a great solution if you can spare the storage space and the bandwidth. Perhaps I should get me one of those!

It's much cheaper than other solutions. I think I paid something like $120 for the year. The first backup was a bit dodgy since shifting the 100+ Gb I've got in my home folder took an age and chronosync kept crapping out, but now I've finally got it up there all is good.

I'm running Tiger and I've never had any trouble with Mozy (new or older version). Granted, I'm only using the 2 GBs they give you for free, but it's enough to back up my wife's thesis.

I bit the bullet and purchased Mozy a few days ago. I started my back-up upload two or three days ago and it still has 11 days and 20 hours until it finishes (that's what it tells me anyway). I'll let you know how that goes. I'm a little disappointed because over on my windows computer (ugh, I know) I use Carbonite and it works wonderfully.

I'll give Mozy a chance, but when Carbonite comes to Mac I might have switch. I'll update this message board when it's finished with this back-up. To be fair, it is a big one: over 45 GB and my cable upload speed isn't as fast as I had hoped.

the new version is working fine for me under leo... i'm using the free kind btw ;)

I'm still having no end of reliability problems with Mozy. I really wish there was an alternative for Mac users :(

I use mozy for the mac to back up my iMac (which is connected to Comcast cable internet via wireless Linksys router). Let me tell you, getting the initial back-up finished was a complete bitch. But, when it fails, it doesn't need to start anew. It starts where it left off.

So, after _weeks_ of frustration, trying to get the initial upload finished, I now have nearly 250GB stored with mozy. Every day at 3am it starts, and it's usually completed before I wake up, though sometimes it takes longer (e.g. if I recently handbraked movies to my mac) because there are more files to upload.

I'd say that about once every 10 days, it stops working. But when I restart the computer, it works again. (And I usually just wait until Apple releases some software update that requires a restart). But generally, ever since I got the initial upload finished, it hasn't caused me any problems. In a typical month, I probably add 7 movies to iTunes (via handbrake set at iPhone quality) and maybe 40 new music albums. And photos. So I really test mozy with quite a bit of data. I set mozy to upload everything, excluding nothing.

And lord, it is so cheap!! I have 250GB (and climbing) stored with them for only $5 a month??! That's insane. I love having the peace of mind of having an off-site copy of everything.

So, is it totally problem free? No, especially at the beginning. But after you get it running, it's nearly problem free. I love mozy now. Though, the initial upload process (of like 150GB) was HORRIBLE. Not sure if Comcast was killing the connection, or if it was Mozy's fault.

Note: my iMac is set to never go to sleep, and is always on, downloading podcasts, connecting to .mac sync, and mozy (starting at 3am) 24/7. I'm running Leopard, iLife '08, iWork '08, Time Machine.

I bit the bullet and purchased Mozy a few days ago. I started my back-up upload two or three days ago and it still has 11 days and 20 hours until it finishes (that's what it tells me anyway). I'll let you know how that goes. I'm a little disappointed because over on my windows computer (ugh, I know) I use Carbonite and it works wonderfully.

I'll give Mozy a chance, but when Carbonite comes to Mac I might have switch. I'll update this message board when it's finished with this back-up. To be fair, it is a big one: over 45 GB and my cable upload speed isn't as fast as I had hoped.

The Mozy back-up finally finished a few days ago. Since then I also started two incremental back-ups. One complaint I have is the program's feedback. When you sleep or shut down you Mac, Mozy tells you "Back up failed" or "cancelled by user" when in reality, it just didn't complete. Unfortunately, upon restart or awakening it doesn't start up automatically to finish the job.

Maybe I'll experiment with actually recovering a file or two.

I've now ditched Mozy and moved to CrashPlan. It's more expensive and you have to buy the client software, but so far it has been a lot more reliable and hassle-free to use. I've almost completed the initial 45GB of data during the free trial period. Let's hope things continue to go as smoothly once I'm a paying customer!

Andy