Pronoun

Wireless Printers

I need to buy a printer and I wanted to get an all-in-one inkjet. I have a linksys wireless router with 3 ethernet ports open. I wanted to know what models to look at. I obviously need it to be Mac compatible (I have no Windows computers on my home network now, but a may add one at some point).

I like the idea of total wireless printing, but I hear a lot complains of it not working right/well/at all. I can plug it into the router with ethernet and print from the notebooks wirelessly if possible. My router doesn't have a USB port, but I would be willing to replace with one that does, because it is old and 802.11g. My new notebook (MBP) is 802.11n, everything else is 802.11b/g (PBG4, iPhone, XBox with a linksys gaming adapter, Nintendo Wii & Nintendo DS).

I don't want to plug it in via USB to the tower and share it to the notebooks because I would have to have the tower on and awake all the time.

Here are the computers I plan to print from:

2 notebooks w/Wifi (MBP and PB-G4 both with Mac OS X 10.5.2)

1 tower (G4 QuickSlilver with Mac OS X 10.4.11)

Here are the two HP printers I looked at:

HP Officejet J6480

HP C7280 Photosmart

HP C7250 Photosmart

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

I need to buy a printer and I wanted to get an all-in-one inkjet. I have a linksys wireless router with 3 ethernet ports open. I wanted to know what models to look at. I obviously need it to be Mac compatible (I have no Windows computers on my home network now, but a may add one at some point).

I like the idea of total wireless printing, but I hear a lot complains of it not working right/well/at all. I can plug it into the router with ethernet and print from the notebooks wirelessly if possible. My router doesn't have a USB port, but I would be willing to replace with one that does, because it is old and 802.11g. My new notebook (MBP) is 802.11n, everything else is 802.11b/g (PBG4, iPhone, XBox with a linksys gaming adapter, Nintendo Wii & Nintendo DS).

I don't want to plug it in via USB to the tower and share it to the notebooks because I would have to have the tower on and awake all the time.

Here are the computers I plan to print from:

2 notebooks w/Wifi (MBP and PB-G4 both with Mac OS X 10.5.2)

1 tower (G4 QuickSlilver with Mac OS X 10.4.11)

Here are the two HP printers I looked at:

HP Officejet J6480

HP C7280 Photosmart

HP C7250 Photosmart

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

I have HP C7280 Photosmart its really great its super fast with great quality you also do not need to use a ethernet cable you just need you use wep key from you router its a very simple wireless set-up i hope this helped

You might want to think about buying an airport express and a printer. Might be cheaper than buying a network printer and that way you can keep the express and upgrade the printer whenever you want + you get airtunes and you can separate the printer from the router if you would like.

But with and airport extreme / express you only get basic printing. You can't use the scanning or other features of the printer. And that's if the printer works at all with the express (mine doesn't, despite apple telling me it should).

But with and airport extreme / express you only get basic printing. You can't use the scanning or other features of the printer. And that's if the printer works at all with the express (mine doesn't, despite apple telling me it should).

What printer do you have?

HP DeskJet F380. Dirt cheap, but I use it less than once a month, so I'm not overly bothered. I just plug it in to my mac when I need it.

The Canon 5200 R runs all my wireless and wired print jobs (Mac and Win) very well and I'm highly satisfied with it -- with a few caveats I just posted on the topic of "saving money on Canon Pixma printing ink" -- which you might want to check.

It's been a reliable workhorse for well over a year -- and sometimes I do lots of printing and at others am away from it for months -- which has been death to my previous inkjets.

PS: I have the printer plugged directly into the PC, not the router's USB port. The Mac accesses it through its own radio. I also have both the wired and wireless configurations set up on my iBook so I can use it plugged or unplugged.

It's also lost contact with the Mac a few times, but a procedure in the manual (pointed out by the Canon Mac support guy) solves it easily.

Edited by Bigpics

woops, missed the fact that it was going to be an all in one. Yah, an airport will be no good.