Sign in to follow this  
FORZA

Macbook or Macbook Pro

I am having a serious problem making up my mind on which Mac laptop to purchase. I am university student that uses most of the Microsoft Offfice suite to do my homework with. My hobbies include taking a ton of photos with my Nikon D80 and video taping my holiday trips with my Digicam. I have been looking at purchasing a refurb, but I am totally stuck on which laptop I really want. Do I spend the $1000 on the Macbook, or do I spend $700 more for the 15 inch Macbook Pro? The specs show that the harddrive, video card and the screen size are the only differences between the two models. Is it worth spending the extra cash for the Pro, or do I save the dough and go for the Macbook?

Thanks in advance for your help :rolleyes:

The one thing that the specs don't really focus on is the screen. The screens in the MacBook Pro are far superior, not just in size, but quality. However, there is another point for the MacBook as well. The MacBook has a user upgradable hard drive AND memory. The MacBook Pro has to be taken to an Authorized Service Center to have the Hard Drive replaced. The MacBook is also much lighter to carry around.

If it were me, well it was about a year ago, I went with the Pro... Then I paid to have a 320GB Hard drive installed. So, there you have my 2 cents.

If you're editing the photos in photoshop (or lightroom or aperture) and them printing them out, get the pro. The glossy screen is so inaccurate, your photos will come out looking totally different to what they do on the screen.

If you're going to be using aperture, then the video card will make a difference too, since it is able to offload quite a bit of the image processing (which is a fair lot if you're shooting in RAW) on to the GPU, so everything will run much snappier. I've seen aperture on a slower (older) MBP with less RAM beat a MB with a faster processor and a gb of RAM more.

If you're editing the photos in photoshop (or lightroom or aperture) and them printing them out, get the pro. The glossy screen is so inaccurate, your photos will come out looking totally different to what they do on the screen.

If you're going to be using aperture, then the video card will make a difference too, since it is able to offload quite a bit of the image processing (which is a fair lot if you're shooting in RAW) on to the GPU, so everything will run much snappier. I've seen aperture on a slower (older) MBP with less RAM beat a MB with a faster processor and a gb of RAM more.

Thanks for the input Graham!

The one thing that the specs don't really focus on is the screen. The screens in the MacBook Pro are far superior, not just in size, but quality. However, there is another point for the MacBook as well. The MacBook has a user upgradable hard drive AND memory. The MacBook Pro has to be taken to an Authorized Service Center to have the Hard Drive replaced. The MacBook is also much lighter to carry around.

If it were me, well it was about a year ago, I went with the Pro... Then I paid to have a 320GB Hard drive installed. So, there you have my 2 cents.

So if you swap out the hard drive on the Pro you void the warranty?

Yes. but you also void the warranty on the MB if you use a non "apple approved" hard drive. You can only buy these from AASP's. They're exactly the same as normal drives, it's just a way for computer manufacturers to con more money out of you.

Another spec you should consider are the ports. Unless i am mistaken the macbook does not have the firewire800 while the pro line does. The pro also has an audio line-in port that some people find very useful.

Another spec you should consider are the ports. Unless i am mistaken the macbook does not have the firewire800 while the pro line does. The pro also has an audio line-in port that some people find very useful.

I just took a look at the specs and you are right. The Pro comes with both firewire400 and 800 while the MB only has the 400.

The macbook has audio line-in port too, but one thing the Pro does have that the Macbook doesn't is the express card slot. Also the Pro has more USB Ports (the macbook only has 2, which kinda gets annoying at times. So in that respect the Pro is more expandable.

It's only the 17 inch MBP that has 3 usb ports. The 15" has two (same as the macbook). But as previously stated, both MBP models have a FW800 port, which the MB lacks.

It's only the 17 inch MBP that has 3 usb ports. The 15" has two (same as the macbook). But as previously stated, both MBP models have a FW800 port, which the MB lacks.

I have found the ExpressCard to be valuable, I take my SD cards and put them in a card reader that fits in the card reader and no cables to import photos, much faster than using the USB port too.

roog

I have found the ExpressCard to be valuable, I take my SD cards and put them in a card reader that fits in the card reader and no cables to import photos, much faster than using the USB port too.

roog

That is something I did not know about. Since the Nikon camera I have uses the SD card, that would be an awesome addition. Plus, my rottie pup just chewed up my USB cable the other day so it looks like the ExpressCard will be added to my purchase.

That is something I did not know about. Since the Nikon camera I have uses the SD card, that would be an awesome addition. Plus, my rottie pup just chewed up my USB cable the other day so it looks like the ExpressCard will be added to my purchase.

I got a Griffin brand 5 in 1 card reader, it works with my SD card for my Nikon and the old Memory Sticks for my old digital camera that my son plays with.

I love having the old PCMCIA slot in my PowerBook and now the ExpressCard slot in my MacBook Pro.

roog

One more quick question before I make the purchase. Other than the multi-touch pad on the MBP, is there any major difference between it and the previous model? The only thing that I noticed was that there is a $50 dollar price diffrence between the two in the refurb section.

if it were me i would spend the extra cash and get the trackpad with the multitouch. ive heard that it streamlines workflows for many people. They say that they get used to doing the gestures on their machines and then get on an older machine that does not have the technology and they think, "ohh, yeah, thats not going to work, i cant swipe, rotate, or pinch on this older machine"

In my experience with the macs with multitouch, on the whole it's a useless gimmick if you're actually using the mac for work. Sure it's kinda nice in iPhoto, but I personally don't spend the majority of my time in there. It's not supported widely enough to actually be useful.

In my experience with the macs with multitouch, on the whole it's a useless gimmick if you're actually using the mac for work. Sure it's kinda nice in iPhoto, but I personally don't spend the majority of my time in there. It's not supported widely enough to actually be useful.

I originally tried it out at the Macworld conference in San Francisco and thought it was interesting, but I wasn't sure if it was something that had any practical use.

Thanks Graham for the feed back.

I got a Griffin brand 5 in 1 card reader, it works with my SD card for my Nikon and the old Memory Sticks for my old digital camera that my son plays with.

I love having the old PCMCIA slot in my PowerBook and now the ExpressCard slot in my MacBook Pro.

roog

Hey Roog,

Now that I have my MBP, I was looking for that 5 in 1 card reader by Griffin, but they has discontinued it. I have looked at Belkin and SIIG, which have very similar products that compare to the Griffin. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Edited by FORZA

Now that I have my MBP, I was looking for that 5 in 1 card reader by Griffin, but they has discontinued it. I have looked at Belkin and SIIG, which have very similar products that compare to the Griffin. Any recommendations?

any old card reader should work with your MBP, I have one from RadioShack

I just took a look at the specs and you are right. The Pro comes with both firewire400 and 800 while the MB only has the 400.

The MacBook Pro only has a Firewire 800 port, it does not have a 400. The aluminum MacBooks do not have any Firewire ports, the MacBook White only has a 400.

The MacBook Pro only has a Firewire 800 port, it does not have a 400. The aluminum MacBooks do not have any Firewire ports, the MacBook White only has a 400.

Firewire 800 is backwards compatible with Firewire 400, many of the newer Firewire 800 drives (Seagate, LaCie, and my OWC enclosure) all came with FW800 - FW400 cable so you can plug your FW400 drives into an 800 port.

These cables are also available online for less than $10.

roog