Shelly

Office 2008 and Multiple Screens

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having problems using Microsoft Office 2008 with multiple screens. I bought the Home and Student edition as soon as it came out as an upgrade from Microsoft Office 2004. I have a 17" MacBook Pro that I use as my main computer, and I hook up a 20" Cinema screen to it when I am at my desk at home. This makes my computer seem like a dual screen desktop computer even though everything is running from the MacBook Pro. I use a separate wireless mouse and wireless Apple keyboard. My problem is that when using the dual screens, I do most of my work on the secondary screen (the larger 20" Cinema screen) and the Office 2008 window that I'm working in (usually Word) keeps jumping back to the primary screen (on the MacBook Pro) and gets very small. This happens if any other program pops up while I'm working (Mail for example). I have called Microsoft and they said that it's a Mac problem, and I called Apple and they said it's an Office problem. This was not a problem with Office 2004. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a fix for it? It has driven me so batty that I've resorted to using NeoOffice for now until I can get the problem solved. I would really like to start using MS Office again.

Shelly

Yes, I'm having issues with Office 2008 with Multiple Screens and Spaces as well. It's a bug. I'm sure they are going fix it. They had a similar bug in Office 2004 with multiple screens when someone disconnected it and it would crash. It was a strange bug.

Anyway. you aren't alone on this one. But I don't have a workable solution other than keeping Office on the Main display.

J

Thanks for letting me know of your problem. I hope that a solution is found by either Apple or Microsoft soon!

Shelly

Just wanted to give an update to this problem. It's still a problem, but the workaround that I found is to go to system preferences and in Displays/Arrangements make my larger (secondary) screen the one with the menu bar on it by just dragging the menubar graphic to the screen that represents the secondary screen. Thus, I guess, telling the Mac that my larger screen is my main screen and not the MacBook Pro screen. Microsoft Office documents tend to want to jump to whatever screen has the menu bar on it, so my problem is essentially solved. :)

It's definitely a Microsoft bug, since no other programs I know of (Pages, etc.) have this issue. The big thing is that the VAST majority of Mac programs use the Apple frameworks for much of the UI code and stuff, whereas Microsoft writes a lot of their own custom code for the vast majority of the Office UI. And Microsoft hasn't been particularly well known for writing programs that work correctly. :lol:

Edited by macfan777