Rubbie

Apple TV syncing over WIRED network painfully slow

I have a first generation intel iMac (802.11g) a new airport extreme base station and a 160 gig Apple TV. I recently switched from a wireless network because of interference (I am in a condo and have about 15 other strong wi-fi connections) by hooking up my iMac gigabit port to the gigabit port on the EBS, I also hooked up the ATV to the EBS gigabit port as well. (I have turned off the broadcasting on the EBS)

The ATV is blazing fast when connecting to content on the internet (YouTube, renting movies and watching HD Podcasts). My iMac connecting to the internet on this wired network is about 5mb download and 200kb upload speeds. However when I try and sync stuff from my iMac to the ATV it is painfully slow, when I try to play songs from my ATV that has not been synced with my iMac it just makes the ATV stop and start and hiccup. Even though there was a lot of interference it was a lot faster over wi-fi.

I have tried 2 sets of cables as well as changing the ports that ATV and iMac are connected to on the EBS. I have also tried connecting the ATV directly to the iMac with no change in syncing speeds, the istat pro widget said i was getting about 60kbs output speeds when connected directly to the ATV? it shouldn't be so slow when connected directly right? My network utility says my connection is 1Gbit/ and the ATV has 10/100 mbs built in and it would seem that when connecting to the internet it is getting these speeds but not when connected directly to the iMac.

My itunes library is connected to my iMac with firewire 400 but this shouldn't matter as when it was over wi-fi it was choppy because of the interference but worked fine when there was no interference. I hate to go back to wireless because I just spent a small fortune on cables and it should work.

I could really use some help.

Chris

This sounds like a question for Graham.

Hopefully, he'll be around later.

If you've bought brand new cables and you've tested them with other devices to make sure that it's not the cables that are at fault, I would put money on it being that your library is on the FW drive. Try moving it to your internal drive. That's the only bottleneck that I can see, since you've already eliminated a problem with the router and the AppleTV (since stuff from the internet works).

It could also be that the ethernet port on your iMac is faulty.

Thanks for all your replies it helped with my conversation with AppleCare...

I tried another cable directly from my iMac to the Apple TV and I was getting amazing connection speeds 4gb etc... but when i connected the same cables to the gigabit port on the Extreme base station it would slow down to a crawl. So I ended up calling apple care AGAIN and I escalated and escalated with apple care and they connected me with the "3rd level base station support" who walked me through trouble shooting...it was the settings on the base station I had my "connection sharing" turned off to "Bridge Mode" instead of "share public IP address" what was happening was that all my traffic was going through the modem and slowing down. It is now fixed and blazing fast.

if at first you don't succeed try with 3rd level support

If you've bought brand new cables and you've tested them with other devices to make sure that it's not the cables that are at fault, I would put money on it being that your library is on the FW drive. Try moving it to your internal drive. That's the only bottleneck that I can see, since you've already eliminated a problem with the router and the AppleTV (since stuff from the internet works).

It could also be that the ethernet port on your iMac is faulty.

Is there anything special I need to know to direct connect my AppleTv to my MacBook. I assume an ethernet cable and change some settings on the AppleTV. I want to be able to transfer a lot of video content quickly. Thanks Chris