andyeb

iPhone apps store: how much should apps cost?

How much should iPhone apps cost?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you be prepared to pay?

• Less than $1
    • $1 to $5
    • $6 to $10
    • $11 to $20
    • $20 to $30
    • More than $31

With the iPhone app store just around the corner, I'm curious how much people think applications should cost. Will there be a "one size fits all" pricing policy like music on the iTunes Music Store?

How much would you be prepared to pay for an app which you used every day?

For comparison, most Mac shareware seems to be between 25 and 70USD.

Well it's already been said there won't be a one size fits all pricing policy. Each developer can choose how much they want to charge.

Personally, I'll be judging each app on it's own merits. Some apps will be worth a quid some will be worth £20.

Well it's already been said there won't be a one size fits all pricing policy. Each developer can choose how much they want to charge.

Personally, I'll be judging each app on it's own merits. Some apps will be worth a quid some will be worth £20.

Good answer Graham. So what would make an app worth 20 quid to you? What would you look for? What would it do for you?

For me, the app would have to a complete MUST HAVE. As in, It can sync with mail with ToDo's, or a completely different ToDo App. I'd like to see a Screen sharing app from Apple that will be able to scale, and allow the 'pinch' gestures. That'd be worth maybe $10 to me.

With the iPhone app store just around the corner, I'm curious how much people think applications should cost. Will there be a "one size fits all" pricing policy like music on the iTunes Music Store?

How much would you be prepared to pay for an app which you used every day?

For comparison, most Mac shareware seems to be between 25 and 70USD.

I'm thinking $10-15 is the sweet spot. If I use an app more than once a week, it's worth it to pay that, depending on what it is. I've already donated money for a couple of j/b games I play several times a day to unlock all the features (backgammon and pool).

Palm apps are considerably more expensive, running in the $20-30 range, depending. Many games are $20.

I think we'll see many shareware apps on iTunes. Free to try, but crippled and "paypal the developer $10 for full functionality" kind of thing. That way they don't have to share revenue with Apple.

I'm looking forward to some apps that are cross platform, ie, they have a web interface, native interface, and a desktop interface. So they're usable offline, but you can get the benefits of online as well. Say fitness tracking software that has a huge online database to draw from so it doesn't all need to be on the phone.

Well I will be buying flickr export when Fraser releases it. I use the iPhoto version most days, and I recon his iPhone version will be wicked. I'd gladly pay £20 for that.