Spaceman

How to test Ethernet Speed

Hi,

Curious if anyone knows a program (or method) for testing internal ethernet network speeds. Wanting to do some testing with router settings and want to be able to compare speeds.

Please note that I am not trying to test Internet speeds, just internal ethernet network speeds.

Regards,

Spaceman

You'll be wanting something like iStat Pro / Nano / Menu from iSlayer. Get one of those running and transfer some big files over.

http://islayer.com/index.php?op=software

If those don't satisfy your needs, you'll be looking at hardware devices, which are a bit overkill for most people since they're not cheap.

You'll be wanting something like iStat Pro / Nano / Menu from iSlayer. Get one of those running and transfer some big files over.

http://islayer.com/index.php?op=software

If those don't satisfy your needs, you'll be looking at hardware devices, which are a bit overkill for most people since they're not cheap.

Thanks, I'll look into those. Won't need a hardware solution. Just trying to determine the fastest setting for moving big files around the home network.

Regards,

Spaceman

I wonder, if one has gigabit Ethernet, if the hard drive speed becomes an issue, especially if one of the hard drives in the network has a lower speed and a longer seek time.

You don't see the actual drive being an issue (assuming you've got a drive made within the last five years or so) until you start getting into fibre connections. In order of slow-ness (technical term there)

10/100 Ethernet

USB / FW400 (FW is better for sustained transfer though)

FW800

Gigabit Ethernet

So, if you've got USB drives hooked up to something like an airport extreme (gigabit version - if you've got the original 802.11n model like me, it might well be the drive), the USB connection will be the bottleneck. If it's an internal drive being shared on the network, it's most likely the network that's causing things to slow down.

Edited by Graham