Sign in to follow this  
PSUDude

Macbok question

Hi, I've had a macbook since Oct 2006. I've always put it to sleep or occasionally shut it down when ever I was not using it. Someone told me it would be better to leave it on all the time (obviously plugged in), since he claims that the constant sleep/shutdown and waking does more harm than good. Also he mentioned since I was thinking of getting an Apple TV soon, it would be wiser to leave it on just so it's easier to stream/sync between the two and I do't have to run back-and-forth between the two.

what do some of you think?

thanks

Edited by PSUDude

Well you're doing the right thing with just sleeping your computer - although leaving it plugged in all the time will kill your battery when you actually come to use it on battery power. If you're just doing that, you should remove the battery.

Anyway, on to the apple tv. Yes, the computer will need to be on and awake for the streaming to work, but the whole point of having a hard drive in there as opposed to the cheaper solutions is that you don't need to have your computer on all the time since it's all stored on your apple tv.

Hi, I've had a macbook since Oct 2006. I've always put it to sleep or occasionally shut it down when ever I was not using it. Someone told me it would be better to leave it on all the time (obviously plugged in), since he claims that the constant sleep/shutdown and waking does more harm than good. Also he mentioned since I was thinking of getting an Apple TV soon, it would be wiser to leave it on just so it's easier to stream/sync between the two and I do't have to run back-and-forth between the two.

what do some of you think?

thanks

I agree with that Graham says. Also the AppleTV is never truly off, it may not be playing a video or displaying anything, but it will sync when the power light isn't on and the unit appears to be "off."

roog

Just use the computer as you see best. It's designed to be used the way you would think. I wouldn't leave it plugged in all the time as I don't thats good for it. Just use it and put it to sleep when your done. It's not going to make much difference.