Sign in to follow this  
FORZA

So when does it happen?

As Apple grows in market strength versus the PC, do you think the virus free environment that Apple has enjoyed for many years will continue to thrive?

When does Apple become the target as PC has for many years?

I have a theory on this. Remember the big debate that's been going on forever whether OS X was indeed more secure than Windows? Well, my observation is that it seems that Vista is indeed much more secure than XP ( there do seem to be lots fewer exploits being made public and from what I can tell from all the podcasts I listen to, there seems that few if not none of the "my computer has been infected " calls are from Vista users. So, I'm thinking that the reason for this is that in Vista Windows adopted at least some of the security model that OS X has always used ( such as UAC ). If I am correct, then maybe it always has been that OS X is indeed inherently more secure and if so, perhaps there never will be a very great threat from such things.

The Unix base of OS X makes it inherently secure. If you'll notice, almost all of the security holes come through QuickTime/Safari/etc.

The Unix base of OS X makes it inherently secure. If you'll notice, almost all of the security holes come through QuickTime/Safari/etc.

I think a few months back a contest was held that challenegd people to hack into a Mac, and the fastest way they gained access was through Safari.

Oh, yes, CanSecWest's PWN2OWN contest. I actually saw an interesting article on that that said the guy who made the hack had started working on it about 3 months in advance. Can't remember where I saw it, though...

But that hack still required the Mac to be running as Administrator.

i think that virus's on apple computers are a long time away because they have to learn to program in apples program code.

it has one down side tough because apples operating system is based on unix alll the open source guys know how to program for apple but if they release a virus for apple they also risk infecting linux aswell. most virus programmers have a love of linux like we have a love of apple.

in my opinion the iphone looks like a more promising target all the information stored on that thing a hacker could have a field day. credit card detail email addresses phishing credit card details from itunes or amazon. virus on the mac will happen but in terms of spyware there are more promising targets out there.