Sign in to follow this  
macfan777

Webserver - Two Questions

Okay, two questions here. First, I have been running my webserver on Port 80 and want to be able to use the Leopard firewall for additional security (right now I'm using a Linksys router as my firewall) but I can't figure out how to unblock the server. I know OS X does this with its built-in server, but I'm using MAMP and haven't had any luck. The firewall prefpane simply asks me what program I want to unblock, but since MAMP's server doesn't run as an actual .app file, it doesn't work.

Second, I have a cable connection with a (claimed) upload speed of 150 KB/s and download of 1.5 MB/s. When I upload anything normally from my computer, say, sending a large Mail message, I get around 20-30 KB/s (for the first few seconds it gets over 100). But when I'm downloading from my server from anywhere else I only get around 10 KB/s maximum, sometimes less than 7. It doesn't matter that I'm on a T1 connection at the remote location, it's obviously my own server/connection/whatever limiting the speed. I already checked with my ISP and they don't limit Port 80 in any way. Also, when I connect to my server on my local network, I get almost instantaneous transfers, leading me to believe it's the connection or the router somehow.

First, firewall problem. (Think this will work) When you're adding the app to the firewall, go to Applications/MAMP/bin and add httpd - that's the web server. Will probably need to add the mysqld as well.

Internet speed. Are you actually on one megaBYTES per second or megaBITS? Remember there's 8 bits in a byte. And you'll also never get the theoretical maximum that they advertise.

Great, this is exactly what I needed for the firewall setup! I actually only had to add httpd because the MySQL connections are all internal.

Anyway, all of the speed measurements are in KBits/s and MBits/s.

Well a KB is a kilobyte whereas Kb is kilobit (notice the capitalisation). That's really something you should take up with your ISP since the internal network is running fine.