Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Barker

Rather Macs Be Less Common?

I've been thinking about it a bit and now i've come to hope that Mac's never take over from Windows! I recon 5% to 10% is great because it means hackers (virus makers) aren't targetting Mac's yet it means there always better than the standard! Because if everybody had a mac they'd be common, and not special. You see my point?

I agree in a lot of ways but I think that the price point will mostly take care of that problem. As long as Apple never has a bargain basement model they are never going to be main stream.

I agree with joshr, the same reason Cadillacs and BMW's will never be the best selling cars, Macs will never outsell PC's .... but even if they did, I wouldn't be too worried about the virus/spyware issue. Like I pointed out in another thread, Vista is much more secure than XP since it adopted some "Mac like" security features .... coincidence?

I agree with joshr, the same reason Cadillacs and BMW's will never be the best selling cars, Macs will never outsell PC's .... but even if they did, I wouldn't be too worried about the virus/spyware issue. Like I pointed out in another thread, Vista is much more secure than XP since it adopted some "Mac like" security features .... coincidence?

vista is more secure because they restricted access tot the register. which is like the worst idea in terms of software ever.

i live in the uk and macs over here in this country are still in there infancy they may take off but not anytime soon. they are considerably more expensive than pcs in the great nation that i chose to inhabit. so mass market is not coming anytime soon.

anything that Douglas Adams uses i feel should have some exclusivity because if apple gain to much market share then macs stop losing that thing that makes the special. look at the ipod when was the last time you brought out your ipod and someone turned and said wow you have a ipod.

Edited by pieman

Ahhh, but it is the UAC ( a very Mac Like Feature ) which prevents rootkits from being installed in Vista ( as revealed this past week on the TWiT network ) ... and for that matter I believe the access to the register is handled through some part of the UAC also.

Personally, I'd like to see the Mac get about 30-35% marketshare. Not too big, but big enough that we wouldn't be an afterthought for developers and wouldn't have to use crippled software and drivers – even Adobe seems to be leaning towards windows with their latest version of Acrobat Pro which has features not available to us Mac users. The way I see it, there should be absolutely no reason why we should "need" Windows for anything.