Sign in to follow this  
donhatch

No Partition option in Disk Utility

I just bought a new 1 Tb hard drive, and want to partition it. When I open Disk Utility, there is no option for Partition! I know I've done this before, but maybe not since upgrading to Leopard. Whaaa happened? I checked the customize toolbar, and there is no partition button in there either. It doesn't seem to matter which drive I'm looking at either. This is probably something stupid, but I'm ready to be humbled. :blink:

In Disk Utility, the drive should show up in the left-hand column. Click on the drive (note that the drive may show up twice - click the one that's further up/to the left. There should be a partition tab to the right, along with First Aid, Erase, RAID, and Restore tabs. At least that's how it is with the internal. If this is different on an external, someone'll come along and correct me. :D

In Disk Utility, the drive should show up in the left-hand column. Click on the drive (note that the drive may show up twice - click the one that's further up/to the left. There should be a partition tab to the right, along with First Aid, Erase, RAID, and Restore tabs. At least that's how it is with the internal. If this is different on an external, someone'll come along and correct me. :D

Thank you, Thank you!! I was clicking on the second drive icon.

Just to further explain for other readers, if you click on the icon for the drive indented below the main disk you are actually clicking on a partition, You need to click on the root volume of the drive and you can't partition a partition