Sign in to follow this  
ig33k

Leo's interview

Leo had a great point that I also had ever since Apple decided to switch to Intel. And that is that PowerPC processors are the processors of the future. Cell technology, as it looks now, is the way of the future for processors. They are directly made for media computing which is what Macs are for.

I still have the little inkling that Apple will keep PPC in their performance lines like G5s and put Intel in the more consumer based lines like iMacs and iBooks. Cell PPC is not good for things like word processing, Intel is the best around. BUT Cell PPC cannot be beat in graphics. So there is a bit of a dilemma here while trying to serve word processing and graphics at the same time.

So I think Intel must have something great up their sleeve for the future. However, they are limited simply because of the Intel core technology used is not the best out there for graphics.

-ig33k

Downloading the Mac Cast with Leo now. Man I'm excited! Leo is one of my favorite people of Technology. Really wish they would bring back the old Screensavers/Call for Help. I miss those days.

J.

I Have to say. I'm Impressed at the people that you are having on the show here great interview Adam good questions and It was a surprise to here Leo here .And I mean that in a good way, your doing great job with people . Keep em coming hey may be next Patrick Norton

:D Have fun live and live

Downloading the Mac Cast with Leo now. Man I'm excited! Leo is one of my favorite people of Technology. Really wish they would bring back the old Screensavers/Call for Help. I miss those days.

J.

Well... you will be happy to see this...

CFH is coming back to G4TechTV USA.

http://thisweekintech.com/node/3920

Ya. Your wish has come true- they are bringing it back. You should check out Leos other podcasts. One of my favorites is tWiT

Ok, first let me introduce myself. My Name is Juan, I live in San Diego and I’ve been listening to MacCast podcast for a month. From day one, i was hooked on this program. I am a happy switcher from Windows to Mac and listening to this podcast gives me insight on the tricks and different ways to enjoy and effectively use my Macintosh.

I want to mention that the interview with Leo Laporte was brilliant. Adam conduced a great interview where we all got to enjoy Leo’s energetic and solid points of view. I might be an old-school folk, but I like my interviews where guests have plenty of time to talk about things without being interrupted by an anxious interviewer that has to go to commercial. So for all that I thank you Adam and I hope you keep the good work for many years.

Regards.

PS: I am infecting my co-workers with the MacCast bug. *lol*

I'm not certain Cell is a good thing for desktops. It might be but like Sony's "Emotion Engine", Cell might have required too much redevelopment for basic operation. What Microsoft got for their 360 wasn't necessarily good for a general purpose computer either, it doesn't support out of order execution or other key features expected of modern microprocessors, making up for the likely CPI efficiency reduction by ramping the clock. Like the changes required to make Cell work, I think making up for lack of out-of-order and such would require a greater rethinking of the development than porting to a different architecture.

I must also contest Leo's assertion that Intel doesn't have a 64 bit chip, which is wrong, many of their x86 chips almost fully support AMD's 64 bit extensions, branded by Intel as EM64T.

Leo had a great point that I also had ever since Apple decided to switch to Intel. And that is that PowerPC processors are the processors of the future. Cell technology, as it looks now, is the way of the future for processors. They are directly made for media computing which is what Macs are for.

I still have the little inkling that Apple will keep PPC in their performance lines like G5s and put Intel in the more consumer based lines like iMacs and iBooks. Cell PPC is not good for things like word processing, Intel is the best around. BUT Cell PPC cannot be beat in graphics. So there is a bit of a dilemma here while trying to serve word processing and graphics at the same time.

So I think Intel must have something great up their sleeve for the future. However, they are limited simply because of the Intel core technology used is not the best out there for graphics.  

-ig33k

At last!Someone who sees the light!

Sign in to follow this