Sign in to follow this  
MnchstrCityBlues

Installing New OS

Hey gang, I have a iMax G5 iSight. Obviously it came with Tiger. I have recently obtained (legally) a copy of 10.5. I know Adam and quite a few of you have a particular process of preserving existing data and doing a clean install. I have a clone of my harddrive, updated nightly, on an external hard drive via SuperDuper. So what do you guys suggest? What steps do you take when spring cleaning or installing a new OS? Thanks guys!

Well done on keeping a decent backup! Obviously you'll want that to be up to date, and have checked that you can boot from it before doing anything.

I write down a list of apps that I actually use (this is a good opportunity to get rid of apps you don't need any more. Using something like appzapper will clear out the junk left in your library), download the various installers and put them on a USB drive (or cd, dvd, whatever).

When it comes to the actual install I get rid of all the languages (except english, obviously...) and printer drivers. That clears up 3-4Gb of lost hard drive space.

When it comes to the migration assistant, I copy over my user folders only. Once they're done, all that's left is to install the apps from the installers you downloaded earlier / install dvd's whatever and run software update.

Well done on keeping a decent backup! Obviously you'll want that to be up to date, and have checked that you can boot from it before doing anything.

I write down a list of apps that I actually use (this is a good opportunity to get rid of apps you don't need any more. Using something like appzapper will clear out the junk left in your library), download the various installers and put them on a USB drive (or cd, dvd, whatever).

When it comes to the actual install I get rid of all the languages (except english, obviously...) and printer drivers. That clears up 3-4Gb of lost hard drive space.

When it comes to the migration assistant, I copy over my user folders only. Once they're done, all that's left is to install the apps from the installers you downloaded earlier / install dvd's whatever and run software update.

Thank you for your response, Graham. :-) I have my external drive connected via USB and Firewire from my newertech enclosure and the clone is already bootable. I will take your advice and run with it. I have been using AppZapper for a long time. Also, most of my programs are installed in my user/Applications folder. That shouldn't present a problem, should it? Thank you again, happy Mac'ing!

No, it doesn't make any difference where you install your apps. You should do a boot from your external before you wipe your drive though, just to make sure. Trust me on that one, I'm talking from experience here! Have been stuck with a duff clone and spent a whole day recovering the data. The client wasn't very happy...