joshr

Firefox3 & Keychain

I have been a long time Camino user but I just downloaded the new firefox and I really like it. Only thing missing is keychain integration. Anyone know of a solution to that? Perhaps a plugin?

1Password will help you with that. It will integrate just about all the browsers. Works very well I have found and I use it all the time.

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

Hope this helps.

I second the vote for 1Password. It uses Keychain, but puts a front end on it that is usable by most every browser. Very elegant solution to still using Keychain. Plus, it's much nicer to look at and use than just Keychain itself.

I don't quite understand. What does one password do beyond keychain? I am inherently leary of writing down any information but I will occasionally store stupid things like the password to this forum. I just like having it in OSX rather than in whatever browser I am using.

I don't quite understand. What does one password do beyond keychain? I am inherently leary of writing down any information but I will occasionally store stupid things like the password to this forum. I just like having it in OSX rather than in whatever browser I am using.

1Password is essentially a prettier front end to Keychain (it stores all of it's passwords into a keychain). It offers plugins to all browsers so that no matter what browser you use (Camino, Firefox, or Safari) you can access your passwords with a couple of clicks. Plus, it gives you the ability to lock your 1Password keychain with a password. So essentially, I only have to remember a password to log onto my computer and one more password to access all the places I visit on the net. So the bottom line, 1Password is not for replacing Keychain.app, it's for enhancing Keychain.app and giving it the power to work beyond Camino and Safari.

Also, the other benefit is that 1Password will be able to remember and fill out forms, like for example bank and credit card web sites, that don't allow the typical Safari or Mozilla save password features to work.

Also, the other benefit is that 1Password will be able to remember and fill out forms, like for example bank and credit card web sites, that don't allow the typical Safari or Mozilla save password features to work.

I would like to say something about this though: I actually do store all my information using 1Password into a keychain. I have my computer set to lock that keychain after so many minutes of non-use. So once I unlock it, thirty minutes later (my specified time) it locks itself if inactive. I like this a lot. It makes it convenient, but also safe enough for me to trust it. Just my 2¢.

To put another 2cents.... This is also very smart, you don't want your keychain accessible to any Tom, Dick, or Harry who might walk by or poke around.

J

Sounds interesting thanks for the help guys.