Sign in to follow this  
spark rain fire

Open 2 apps with 1 Dock Icon

I'd like to open coversutra when iTunes opens, currently it only has an option to load at startup. I like to keep my startup items at a minimum, but i really like the search feature of coverstura, and would like it to open when i open itunes.. is there an easy way to do this?

-dann

Could just write a quick applescript that launches both apps and put that in your dock?

with automator, its super easy. there is an action called "launch application". just make an action to launch whatever you want, then save it all as an application and put that in the dock

Pop the following into script editor and save it as an app. It will run much faster than anything you can make in automator.

tell application "CoverSutra" to activate
tell application "iTunes" to activate

I don't know how i didn't come up with this. thanks guys!

I have really got to learn AppleScript. Anyone have any good suggestions for free resources for AS beginners?

I actually did a Google search and came up with a bunch of stuff. Speaking of Google, I saw an interesting article the other day at http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9955184-...l?tag=nefd.lede that talks about some of Google's inner workings. It's really interesting, especially the stuff about GFS - it seems like it outclasses the capabilities of ZFS by a large amount for large storage systems. I wonder if we could get it working on OS X.

Wow...Dock icons to Applescript to Google...I should really stop changing the subject! :D

@macfan777: However, you don't want to run BigTable on your desktop PC, because you'll need some additional computers to set it up. The Zeta File System can run on a single computer, or on several computers, so it's better suited for Small Office Home Office situations.

Now on-topic.

Is there a way to use a system hook (a daemon), that always launches another application whenever a certain application is launched? It should also shut down the slave application when the master application (iTunes) is shut down. I guess the launchd service should be able to do this. I wonder how you tweak that service (by manipulating a .plist file?).

If you could set it up this way, you wouldn't have to click some odd Applescript icon, but just use the regular iTunes icon in your Dock. CoverSutra would be launched when needed.

You know you can change the icon for anything? Just drag another icon onto it's icon in the Get Info window. You could even use the original iTunes icon if you want and even call the script iTunes. Of course you'd have the iTunes app icon there as well.

And no, from my understanding of it all (which is admittedly limited), it's not as easy as editing a plist file. Some proper programming is required (although, like I said I may be wrong).

Lingon is a GUI for launchd. I haven't used it, so I can't say how good or bad it is, but it's worth a try for a potentially easier setup.