Sign in to follow this  
dnx

Redownload podcast?

Hi, sometimes iTunes seems to fail halfway when downloading podcasts. Like the Aug 20 show of Mac Cast, and some other shows, it downloads the ep but I don't get the whole show. Just like 20-30 min of it.

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it? Can I tell iTunes to only redownload that ep or do I have to clear the whole show and add it again and tell it to download all eps all again?

Happened to me, too. I deleted it from iTunes and regrabbed it from the information page for Maccast. This time, the entire program downloaded.

Okay, anyone else has this problem? Wonder why it happensm maby the download from the server times out or something and iTunes can't get the whole ep.

The only solution I've come up with is to clear the whole podcast in iTunes and then add it again and redownload the shows.

The web host sometimes gets flooded with too many requests. This especially happens right after I post a new show. If you wait a few hours and then re-attempt the download it should work itself out.

Yeah, but the problem is that there is no way, afaik, to tell iTunes to redownload a specefic show. The only solution I've found is to clear the whole podcast and go to the iTunes store and add it again but then it will redownload all the old shows too.

So I would like to know if anyone know any workaround for this? Telling iTunes just to download one show.

Just found the answer to this question. Delete the partial show then unsubscribe to the podcast and re-subscribe. iTunes will re-list all the podcasts you are missing. No need to erase and redownload the lot.

HTH

Oh, I'll have to try that. So you say that I'm supposed to right click and clear the episode that wasn't fully downloaded? Then select move to recycle bin, I'm doing this on win atm, and then clear the whole podcast but chose keep files and then add the podcast again?

EDIT: Atleast that didn't work for me. After clearing the whole podcast, but keeping the files, and adding it again itunes will list all eps as not downloaded and will start to download them again :(

Lets see if I can explain this better.

My problem was if I inadvertently deleted an episode(s) from the Maccast in error. I would then be stuck have all the episodes in my Maccast list except for the one(s) deleted. I use to type command/delete on the Maccast header which would give me a pop up dialog box with the option of moving all the files to the trash. Basically eliminating the Maccast from my podcast directory all together. Then I would re-subscribe to the Maccast feed and re-download all the episodes. This of course was time consuming considering the Maccast has dozens of shows and they would all have to be re-downloaded just to get the one(s) I deleted in error. (Also the extra bandwidth draw for Adam was not appreciated I am sure.) You would now have to manually tell iTunes which ones you had already listened to as it would think they were all new. Also some podcasts you re-subscribe to do not offer all their past shows just the previous few weeks. You therefore run across the problem of losing some past episodes if you planned on archiving them like I do.

The solution I found for the problem was as follows:

In the podcast list under iTunes select the podcast title with the missing podcast you want to reacquire. Along the bottom of the screen select the button titled Unsubscribe. You will then notice next to the title of that podcast a new button titled, surprisingly, subscribe. Simply hit that and then the update button in the top right corner of the podcast window and iTunes will present you with ALL the episodes from that podcast that you are missing and start downloading them. No need to erase anything.

Now I should say I am using a mac so I am unsure if this will work under Windows.

Hope I explained it a little better this time.

If it's just a specific episode here or there, you can also just get it manually and stick it in iTunes.

NY152 thanks! I'll try that tonight. I didn't know there were a unsubscribe button at the bottom.

Also as a little add on. Lets say your download of a particular episode is incomplete. This has happened to me on occasion (Adam usually does not put out 8 minute podcasts.) You would simply select the partial episode and type command/delete. Select "Move to Trash" from the pop up window and viola. The episode is gone. Now just follow my directions above and iTunes will re-download the episode. Hopefully the full one this time.

HTH

Probably sacreligious to say this, but, I use iPodderX to subscribe and manage my Podcasts rather than iTunes. Apple still doesn't have it quite right.

:D I love this. I had a problem with my dialup disconnecting while I was in the middle of a podcast download in itunes and did not know how to reload it. Thanks for the great advice.

I hope some day I can also be a help to you all in this forum.

Jerry Kolnick