Sign in to follow this  
chiff

How do you wake over a network?

Does anyone know how to wake a sleeping mac over a network?

I have a few macs in the house including my main machine, a PMG5 running 10.5.3 which sits in the office at the top of the house. Most of the time I access it during the day is through screen sharing, file sharing, iTunes or Front row. Because of this, I have to leave it on and awake to be ready to access over the network, but would much rather it slept whilst not being use. Therefore, what is the best way to wake it up from another mac on the network?

In Power Savings settings in System Preferences, you can setup Wake from Lan. This will wake the computer up when an administrator tries to access the computer.

However, for this to work properly, you will have to have them Wired in. Wake On Lan doesn't work over Wireless.

In Power Savings settings in System Preferences, you can setup Wake from Lan. This will wake the computer up when an administrator tries to access the computer.

However, for this to work properly, you will have to have them Wired in. Wake On Lan doesn't work over Wireless.

The G5 is wired in over gigabit ethernet. Does the computer I'm using to access the G5 need to be wired too? I wouldn't have thought so. And what do I actually use to wake the G5 over the LAN - applescript? ARD? or something free and useful i don't know of yet? (hoping)

I did have an interesting suggestion from another source:

"to wake up a sleeping mac over a network, have a mobile phone on the keyboard set to vibrate, then ring it."

genius.