Sign in to follow this  
TimB

iLife 08 and Leopard

I'm going to sell my PowerBook to my wife's business where she's going to use it primarily for Garageband and CD burning. I've loaded it up with all kinds of surplus stuff that she's not going to want or need. I've got a couple of questions:

o Can I use my Leopard disk to format the hard drive and reload the OS and what mode should I use?

o Will iLife 08 be automatically installed?

Thanks! :)

-=Tim=-

Edited by TimB

Yes, you can use a retail leopard disk. You cannot use one that came with a mac (since it will be intel only). You should use the secure erase and write the drive at least five times to make sure no data survives. No, iLife doesn't come with Leopard. You will need to use a retail version, as any leopard disks with iLife 08 already on will be system DVD's for intel macs and will only work on the model mac they were supplied with.

Yes, you can use a retail leopard disk. You cannot use one that came with a mac (since it will be intel only). You should use the secure erase and write the drive at least five times to make sure no data survives. No, iLife doesn't come with Leopard. You will need to use a retail version, as any leopard disks with iLife 08 already on will be system DVD's for intel macs and will only work on the model mac they were supplied with.

I'm confused. :)

I have a retail version of Leopard that I purchased at the Apple Store that I used to upgrade the PowerBook to Leopard originally. Would iLife 08 come on that?

Secure Erase? is that an option that comes up immediately? :)

Sorry if I'm a little dense. :)

-=Tim=-

No, iLife is not included in the retail version of Leopard. It needs to be bought separately. Secure erase is an option that comes up when you boot from your OS X dvd and choose disk utility.

No, iLife is not included in the retail version of Leopard. It needs to be bought separately. Secure erase is an option that comes up when you boot from your OS X dvd and choose disk utility.

Thanks Graham. :)

-=Tim=-

What about the original discs that came with it? (probably 10.3) I don't know if Secure Erase is on those, but what you could do if it isn't is use the Leopard DVD to do the Secure Erase, then use the original discs to reinstall the OS that originally came with it with iLife, then use the Leopard disc to upgrade it. In any case, the original restore discs DO include a version of iLife, so you can simply do it that way. If it's a PowerBook, though, it won't be iLife 08.

You can install iLife (if it was included with your computer - it hasn't been included for that long) after installing leopard by choosing the optional installs item from the second install disk that came with your computer. No need to clutter up your drive with an upgrade.

Edited by Graham