jlamb0

Got my new Macbook

jlamb0    0

I went and bought my new black Macbook yesterday from the campus store. Picked up a very nice iPod Touch as well. I got home, set everything up, and I am now very happy.

The only problem I'm having is with my printer. I bought a new wireless Lexmark printer/scanner a few months ago, but it only supports OS 10.3 and 10.4. Anyone know when I can expect an updated driver? It would be a shame to have to buy a brand new printer.

Graham    1

What's the model number? Are there no drivers on the lexmark site?

Huskermn    33

If you can't find anything direct from Lexmark, check out Gutenprint. It might work.

macfan777    0

Did you actually try the drivers? My HP was supposedly only 10.3 compatible, but I tried it, and it worked flawlessly.

jlamb0    0

Actually, my first day out of the box I tried the pirnter's install disk, and it failed to install. I checked the site and searched for drivers for my model number, and found updated drivers for windows vista, but none for 10.5. The very next day (yesterday) I checked again and they had updated with a new driver for 10.5! What luck, eh?

My pinter now works better on the Mac than it did on my Dell!

groomsy57    0
Actually, my first day out of the box I tried the pirnter's install disk, and it failed to install. I checked the site and searched for drivers for my model number, and found updated drivers for windows vista, but none for 10.5. The very next day (yesterday) I checked again and they had updated with a new driver for 10.5! What luck, eh?

My pinter now works better on the Mac than it did on my Dell!

As everything else will. ;) Congrats on the new machine. I will probably be getting a new Macbook when they release the LED backlit screens on them.

Dolphbucs    2

Actually, I would have just plugged in the printer to the laptop and tried it out before even before trying the manufacturer's install disk. I have have found that Leopard supports a vast majority of printers right out of the box .... and most that I have tried work better with the Leopard pre-loaded drivers than the packaged ones anyway.

Graham    1

That's why I like HP printers - drivers through software update on leopard.

Bainzey    4

I'm not sure about this.. but on Leopard, Gutenprint is already on it.

I was recently attaching a printer to a Macbook Air, and after plug in, I pressed print and Gutenprint just ran :S Attempt it?

jlamb0    0
Actually, I would have just plugged in the printer to the laptop and tried it out before even before trying the manufacturer's install disk. I have have found that Leopard supports a vast majority of printers right out of the box .... and most that I have tried work better with the Leopard pre-loaded drivers than the packaged ones anyway.

I guess I could have done that, but the whole reason I bought that printer was for wireless printing. There was no room for the printer in our little office area (My fiancee and I live in a small cottage, and space is at a premium), so I had to stash it upstairs. The wireless makes life very easy, but to make it work, I needed the updated driver.

But anyway, everything "just works" now, and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by jlamb0

Evan    0

Cool, Enjoy your mac.