jlamb0

MS Office: '07 or '08

I just switched, and I'm running a dual boot of windows xp and leopard. I'm looking to get Office, and I could do either the windows or the mac version and be pretty happy. My 60 day trial of 07 is almost up, and Microsoft doesn't offer a free trial of 08. I'm hearing about some problems and bugs with the new Office for mac, but it would be nice not to have to reboot every time I need to do homework.

Any insight to help me make my decision would be appreciated!

Get iWork. It saw me through everything I needed to do on a computing degree. I haven't used Office out of choice for over a year now. There's a free trial over on http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

BTW, if you really need windows, I recommend getting VMWare Fusion or Parallels. If I had to reboot every time I needed to test a site in IE I'd go mad. If you're not playing games or need to run any other 3d apps in windoze, it's well worth the money.

I just switched, and I'm running a dual boot of windows xp and leopard. I'm looking to get Office, and I could do either the windows or the mac version and be pretty happy. My 60 day trial of 07 is almost up, and Microsoft doesn't offer a free trial of 08. I'm hearing about some problems and bugs with the new Office for mac, but it would be nice not to have to reboot every time I need to do homework.

Any insight to help me make my decision would be appreciated!

Neither? haha Do you have something that's binding you to MS Office that can't be done in OpenOffice or in the iWork application suite? I would suggest those over the MS Office versions. However, if you are bound to get MS Office, just get it for Mac. I haven't heard anything bad about MS Office for Mac yet.

I have used Office 2008 pretty extensively and I haven't seen a lot of bugs. I have seen some quirks, like how it works, or more to the point doesn't, with Spaces.

There is also OpenOffice/NeoOffice that works for just about everything except Access.

J

Neither? haha Do you have something that's binding you to MS Office that can't be done in OpenOffice or in the iWork application suite? I would suggest those over the MS Office versions. However, if you are bound to get MS Office, just get it for Mac. I haven't heard anything bad about MS Office for Mac yet.

Actually yes, I'm tied to features such as equation editor in Word, and the advanced graphing and statistical calculations I can do in Excel. I haven't been satisfied with the open-source and other alternatives. Open Office is almost there, but still not quite as advanced as I need.

The trial of iWork will get me through the summer, but once school starts up again in the fall I'll need Office.

You poor sod. I love having my mac Microshaft free (bar the two evil windows virtual machines).

You poor sod. I love having my mac Microshaft free (bar the two evil windows virtual machines).

I know, I'm not a fan of Microsoft, either.

...But I can't deny that Office gets my stuff done. I have to give it credit for that.

Edited by jlamb0

I'm pretty happy with '08 at this point. As mentioned, beside the Spaces bugs (which fortunately have been kind of fixed now), it's pretty decent. The only problem is really the speed (which is barely faster than 2004, although still faster than Office 2003). Check out http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtopic=15558 for my "first impressions" review. It's pretty critical, I'll warn you, and it hasn't been updated to reflect the current state, but it's funny. :)

I will say that I have been using iWork most of the time lately and only returning to Office when totally necessary.

Edited by macfan777

As a quick update, I thought I'd report back after using both '08 and '07 side by side for a few months. (I've been running '07 in Windows XP on BootCamp, and just recently on VMware Fusion.)

Both get the job done, and with 2GB of RAM they are pretty snappy. HOWEVER, I recently noticed something peculiar. I am unable to paste HTML objects into Office '08 and retain proper formatting. It converts it to plain text which can totally mess things up,especially with pictures. In most situations this isn't a problem at all, but I recently have needed to copy over chemical diagrams from a windows program. This program, ISIS/Draw, exports in HTML format, and cannot be saved as any kind of picture file.

Office '07 not only pastes the HTML correctly, but even has the ability to integrate ISIS and allow me to edit the molecular structures from within Word, just like you can edit an Excel spreadsheet from inside Word.

I don't expect this level of integration from '08, obviously, because it isn't on the same OS as ISIS (I'm still working on getting ISIS to run on the mac side...). But '08 just can't understand the HTML objects embedded in the word documents created with '07, and I lose my formatting completely when I open them in '08.

I'm still waiting for support from Mactopia. In the mean-time, if anyone needs this functionality, go with Office '07! You would think the 2008 version would ADD features rather than remove them.

I'll post again if I find a work-around.