Sign in to follow this  
neil_jo

imac superdrive gone

My imac superdrive is gone, can I use any generic external USB/DVD drive?

Almost certainly yes, there should be no driver issues. Your best bet is to either get one someone here can confirm works, or make sure the store has a workable return policy just in case. No reason you'll need it, but always better to be sure...

If you're wanting to boot from the drive (ie to install OS X) and your iMac is a PPC model, then it will need to be a firewire drive. If you have an Intel mac then it can be either USB or Firewire.

Thanks , but no I don't need to be able to boot from it just burn.

Thanks , but no I don't need to be able to boot from it just burn.

You might want to think about that. It can be an important troubleshooting option to have a drive you boot from.

You might want to think about that. It can be an important troubleshooting option to have a drive you boot from.

I have two external hard drives with my super duper backup on one of them already.

The super drive will read fine it just won't burn.

I would still suggest, like the others, to get one that will be able to boot and install, since if you want to do an upgrade, you'll need the drive to install it.

Well, he said that his internal drive is still able to read, so that solves that problem.

And besides, if I'm correct, the iMac is an Intel model anyway (correct me if I'm wrong, Neil), so USB versus FW for bootability is a moot point.

Well, he said that his internal drive is still able to read, so that solves that problem.

And besides, if I'm correct, the iMac is an Intel model anyway (correct me if I'm wrong, Neil), so USB versus FW for bootability is a moot point.

Yes it is an intel mac.