Sign in to follow this  
doz

Free Mac OS X Security Manual Download

For your pleasure please download this free Mac OS X Security & Privacy Manual. Originally written for Tiger much of its content is relevant to Leopard. A Leopard version is in the works but in the meantime enjoy this one.

Download it for free at:

http://machacks.tv/?p=46

Please leave any comments, suggested improvements or errata you come accross.

Cheers :)

Mine has more pictures :)

And mine covers some topics not covered by Apple's offering: Internet Tracking, Flash cookies, IP Anonoymization, TOR, GPG, AdiumX, Firefox, Little Snitch and the Netstat command...

The Apple document is sound and full of lots of detailed information. I highly recommend people read it too. I particularly like the instructions for SSH tunneling. I'd argue the Apple manual is aimed more at Sys Admins and less at average users. Maybe mine is a little more 'plain and simple'?

Seriously though - mine does have more pictures :)

Edited by doz

Yeah, that doc is what is distributed to companies that look after apple based networks (like where I work :D ).

Both look quite handy - not least in the specific context of this. I don't suppose there's a Tiger version of the Apple one still available?

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I'm sure it's still there somewhere. I only had the link to the leopard one since we're only just starting to upgrade everyone to leopard now 10.5.3 has been released (well, we will be once the Adobe bug has been fixed!). If you can't find it, I'll dig the tiger one up from the depths of the server and post it online somewhere.

Thanks. I'll get back to you via the board's messenger service if need be - if that works - and I'll probably update this for the benefit of others if that happens. I'll also get back to the topic-starter about his document - probably via his web site as wished - when I've had chance to read it in full. My main interest, incidentally, is setting up an SSH connection - as covered in this cross-referenced thread.

Found it here - i.e. for Tiger - Panther too. I've yet to read it, though, and given that I'm about to upgrade five (household) Macs to Leopard now 10.5.3 is out it will be the Leopard one after all - though I'll still have a look at the alternative Tiger one offered at the start of this thread and get back to the author via the web site where it's found.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard