Sign in to follow this  
Greggball

3G iPhone on O2 in the UK

Hi Everyone,

This is a bit focused on the UK as that is where am from. I have a Motorola v3 Razr on Vodafone pay as you go. I don't chat a lot on the phone, but I do text quite often and certainly would be interested of web surfing and email.

I held off the first iPhone for the following reasons:

First it was the price to buy and then sign up to a contract at £30 (about $50 to $60) per month. I mean I only spend about £50 a year at the moment.

Secondly Edge network, would result in slow web browsing.

So with the announcement of 3G iPhone that solve one of the problems and I noticed O2 is thinking of doing Pay as you go.

So my questions are now, how much is the new phone? I would probably pay £200 for 8Gb model, maybe £275 for 16Gb model

Is O2 any good in terms of services and reception, I live in Newcastle, I would think reception is good.

Details are unclear at the moment but I wonder if any features would be disabled on the Pay as you go (visual voicemail), also what are data rates (speed & £)?

I have a iPod 5.5 but an iPhone would mean my wife could have this instead of an old iPod Mini.

Any thoughts anyone......

Firstly I'd be absolutely amazed if they sell the iPhone on payg at those prices. Add another hundred to those and I recon you'll be in the right ballpark. Secondly, O2 have an unlimited data bolt-on for £7.50 a month, so I expect this will be available for the iPhone. I've had no problem using my iPhone in either Manchester or London (although EDGE coverage is rather patchy in North London where I live).

So my guess was basically right. Go me!

Yes heard about the leaked prices and also heard that £300 for the 8Gb model and get 6 months of unlimited data, then it's £10 per month there after.

So contract. £99 + (18 months @ £30) = £639

or PayG. £300 + (12 months @ £10) + say £50 top-up for calls and texts = £470

As I say I don't text that much and talk even less.

or as my wife says, don't get one and save even more...

Damn. And I really wanted a Pay as you go iphone! Looks like I might have to go with that £7 a month deal and have it on contract. LoL. Unless I can get one that isn't activated...

£7/mo? More like £30.

But in your comparison, having the £30 / mo plan is a total rip off. If you compared the £35, the paying monthly would come out much more favourably if you actually use it all, of course. I'm on the £35 one and I've never had to pay more the £35 / month basic bill.

But like you said, it depends on how much you use it. I use my iPhone as my primary work phone, so I use it quite a lot.