Sign in to follow this  
macfan777

Static IP Address Problems

I'm running a server on my Mac through WiFi and need a static internal IP address. Problem is, just recently, the static IP address stopped working. DHCP works, Manual configuration works, but DHCP w/static IP doesn't. It seems the problem is related to the DNS servers not being configured any longer through DHCP when using a manual IP address. Does anybody have some advice on how to make sure the DNS servers are updated through DHCP if they change, and yet still have a manual IP?

I'm running a server on my Mac through WiFi and need a static internal IP address. Problem is, just recently, the static IP address stopped working. DHCP works, Manual configuration works, but DHCP w/static IP doesn't. It seems the problem is related to the DNS servers not being configured any longer through DHCP when using a manual IP address. Does anybody have some advice on how to make sure the DNS servers are updated through DHCP if they change, and yet still have a manual IP?

Well the easiest way make sure is to manually point the DNS to the router, if the router is serving DNS, usually it is. Then just set the IP address manually and make an exception on the router for that IP, or put it in the range that isn't served within the DHCP Scope.

Well, I get the part about having the IP outside of the DHCP scope, but for the DNS setup, do you mean I should enter the router's IP address as a DNS server under the DNS tab of the AirPort settings? Currently I have three IP addresses (all external - the ones that appear in the router's Status page) entered as DNS Servers and one domain (also on the router's Status page) for Search Domains. I'm not all that familiar with the finer details of internet protocols and routing, besides port forwarding and IP addresses. ;)

You're just running with a normal, consumer ISP service, right? This isn'tsome spur of a corporate netowrk?

I just place the DNS server addresses (2 of them) into my Mac's manual Network config. (You should be able to get the ISP's DHCP-supplied DNS IP addresses from your Router's status info - where depends on the router brand; or from your ISP's support webpages.) If you can't find your ISP's DNS server addreses and you're really desperate, you can try OpenDNS.

ISPs don't change DNS server addresses very often, so entering it in your Mac's Network config shouldn't be a problem; but I suspect you started having problems when your ISP changed theirs.