Sign in to follow this  
macfolk

N wireless router

I currently have a 802.11g router and a macbook pro with a g card and I have an iPhone as well. I have connection issues in some parts of my house. I realize that if I buy an N router that it will be reduced to g speeds, but I was wondering if I would still get the benefit of the extended coverage. I don't want to purchase more g speed equipment like the airport express or a repeater because then I will have to purchase more equipment when and if I upgrade to the N standard. It would be great if the N router would provide me with the coverage I want now, and then the speed boost I may want later. Does that make sense? If my train of thought is poor, please suggest some alternate ideas. Also, side question, what does the iPhone connect as ... b, g, or (I doubt) N? Thank you in advance if you take the time to help me out.

To get the range benefits of 802.11n, you must be connecting with an 802.11n device, so it would make no difference to you with your computer and iPhone.

I am still really interested to hear if you will still get the extended coverage and what protocol the iphone uses. Both great questions.

The iPhone uses 802.11g (current and 3G). You won't get any range benefits when you're connecting with an 802.11g device (as far as I can tell anyway).

No You will not get extended range unless you are using both N.

The iPhone uses 802.11g (current and 3G). You won't get any range benefits when you're connecting with an 802.11g device (as far as I can tell anyway).

but if you have an n router and an n client as well as a g client will the n client receive the extended range even though the network will be dialed down to the g speeds?

Edited by joshr

Unknown. Probably though.