twobikeminimum

wireless networks not showing up

I'm just having a bad day. First an external drive containing my iTunes music folder died and this afternoon my wireless connectivity goes out the window :(

Here's the sitch: my wife's MacBook has no trouble connecting to our Airport Extreme base station, but my new iMac suddenly cannot pick up any wireless signals — let alone our own. What's most troubling is that when running Network Diagnostics, the process hangs on "Select Airport Network".

I was going to call our ISP, but as I said, my wife's MacBook is humming along just fine. Does this sound like a hardware issue?

Thanks!

David

Have you tried opening your Airport Utility on your imac to see if your AE shows up in there? HOw about repairing permissions and resetting the Pram? Those are some of the basic things to do. If none of that helps, I would call Apple. It could be an airport card failure.

Good Luck.

Pat

I'm just having a bad day. First an external drive containing my iTunes music folder died and this afternoon my wireless connectivity goes out the window :(

Here's the sitch: my wife's MacBook has no trouble connecting to our Airport Extreme base station, but my new iMac suddenly cannot pick up any wireless signals — let alone our own. What's most troubling is that when running Network Diagnostics, the process hangs on "Select Airport Network".

I was going to call our ISP, but as I said, my wife's MacBook is humming along just fine. Does this sound like a hardware issue?

Thanks!

David

Have you tried opening your Airport Utility on your imac to see if your AE shows up in there? HOw about repairing permissions and resetting the Pram? Those are some of the basic things to do. If none of that helps, I would call Apple. It could be an airport card failure.

Good Luck.

Pat

Wow, such simple advice. Thanks Pat!

I have to say this is the first time that zapping the PRAM actually solved a problem ;-) But seriously, I didn't even think to do this because it's never been a help in the past. My question now is: what could have happened to cause my Airport Card to go berzerk? It suddenly started acting up yesterday for no apparent reason. I'm really happy to be back online again, but it'd be nice to know what happened.

Oh well, so it goes. Thanks again!

David