Sign in to follow this  
Ron in KY

Questions about AirPort and Router extensions?

I am currently using a D-Link DI-624 I believe it is, a wireless G router. It is sorta confined to a corner of the house and I get wifi everywhere I want it, that is not my concern. 2 years ago I bought whatever the latest and greatest Airport express was so I could hook it up to a home theatre in the center of the home, and I wanted to have a printer also located at that point as well. for when I use the laptop in the theatre and want to print something.

However this is why I sold it and someone is telling me I can do what I wanted to do back then but needed to go about it a different way.

When I was using the portable mac and I wanted to print to that printer or address audio to that device, I have to using the device I believe on a different channel, so I was disconnecting from now having access to the internet to send my print job to the airport express which was not tied into any internet.

What I was told last week when I was re-looking at the Airport Express at the Apple store, I can do what I want to do I have to use the one in the theatre as an extention and I would have to replace my D-Link and buy two of the Airport Expresses @$99 and configure them to extend the range, in that same breathe they all can be address without changing anything temporarily.

Is this true, or can I due this with my existing D-Link router, or is there another base router I could get for the main hook up that is compatible with this extention process I guess is what I am needing to do. I would prefer to have still the ability to plug directly in to the router and I know the express units do not have like a 4 port switch or anything.

Comments welcome, Im sure many of you have set up home networks.

Ron

you could do it with your current dlink and one airport express. I have a belkin router that I do the same thing with. Just set up the express as a wireless bridge and connect it to your existing wireless network. Once thats done it will extend your network and if you plug in a stereo and a printer you will be all wireless.

Your existing router will need to support something called WDS (wireless distribution service). Not all do. It's something of a quasi-standard in that not all brands will work with each other. If your existing router supports it, you might as well have a try. I like the apple ones however, since they're easy to set up! (yeah, lazy nerd. It's easy to spend the client's money!)

I thik fter further research and the price of Extreme Apple router and the ability to have a local drive, I may go with that ad replace the DI-624, reason I read a lot of people saying the WDS you are referring to is slight different between manufactures and have not found anyone successful with a dlink and the express.. not worth my frustrations when It appears you can get the latest extreme on ebay for under $120. And it will add that local disk which I think would be handy.