FORZA

Utility software

I finally broke down and picked up a MacBook Pro the other day along with a free iTouch to boot. Because I am so used to the PC environment needing a whole host of utility software programs, I was wondering what if any utility software I will need for my MBP?

You don't need much. I use appdelete, superduper, and maintenance [from the makers of oynx, to find it do a google search for osx oynx then look for maintenance on the site]. If you use a lot of fonts then fontexplorerx is a nice free font manager.

Here are a few which I think useful:

• 1Password - manage passwords a la RoboForm (not free)
  • ImageWell - Taking snapshot and send to Flickr along with a couple other online destinations
  • NetNewsWire - RSS reader
  • Smultron - excellent text editor
  • SuperDuper - creating bootable backup drive
  • VLC - view almost every video/audio formats

Thanks Haivu and Joshr for your suggestions. What about Techtool Pro?

It's a piece of crap imho.

It's a piece of crap imho.

LOL! Ok, I will stay clear of that piece of software.

Actually, I think Tech Tool Pro is fine and has its uses. Over the years, I've obtained all three of what I consider to be the main Mac maintenance utilities - Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior and Drive Genius. They all do slightly different things and you really don't NEED any of them unless you're having problems. I've had success and failure with all of them, too.

IMHO OS X is relatively self-maintaining as it regularly runs maintenance routines (unless you have your machine turned off overnight).

TechTool Pro has saved my arce more than once.

I would add Senuti and Flip4Mac.

I agree that VLC is a great video player.

Edited by rmsmits

Well, the drive utilities have their uses, but Tech Tool Pro not so much. They test things that rarely go wrong, and when they do, the general result is a mac that won't boot at all. Say it's bad RAM, it's quicker to just swap out the RAM with a known working stick than run TTP. Obviously this isn't such a viable option at home for most people, but these apps are aimed more at the professional end of the market (hence the name).

Actually, I think Tech Tool Pro is fine and has its uses. Over the years, I've obtained all three of what I consider to be the main Mac utilities - Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior and Drive Genius. They all do slightly different things and you really don't NEED any of them unless you're having problems. I've had success and failure with all of them, too.

IMHO OS X is relatively self-maintaining as it regularly runs maintenance routines (unless you have your machine turned off overnight).

Since this is all new to me, where do I to change my settings to run the maintenance routine at a different time?

You can't. They run at 3am, or if the computer is turned off / asleep, the next time it's active.

Since this is all new to me, where do I to change my settings to run the maintenance routine at a different time?

If you shut your mac down at night, just use a program like Onyx or MacJanitor to run the scripts manually.

If you shut down your mac at night, you don't need to do that, since they've already run when you log in. They run as soon as they're able to.

This is true for Leopard and Tiger but I think not for ones before. This issue was covered on a MacCast many moons ago so if you've got the time and the patience to search for it feel free to do so. If only the show notes were indexed.

Well yes, that is true, but since the mac is less than a week old, I'd guess it comes with Leopard ;)

Well yes, that is true, but since the mac is less than a week old, I'd guess it comes with Leopard ;)

Yes, I can confirm that my system was shipped with Leopard :lol: If only we had the flexibilty of the pc where we can pick from so many different versions of the OS..LOL!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for helping me out.

I was aware of that but it was worth making it known to others who read this who've not made the move yet - my bird still being on Panther, for example, whilst I'm on Tiger. I wonder what the current spread is. Last I heard the count of converters to Leopard (rather than buyers of new systems since it came out) isn't the overwhelming majority.

We're only just starting to upgrade people to Leopard at work now that the but with CS3 saving to sharepoints has been fixed. To be honest, the only reason we're doing it is for the new version of iCal and it's support for CalDAV.

I'd definitely add Perian for playing all the video formats QuickTime doesn't handle by default. OnyX is my favorite maintenance app. I'd also take a few hours to get familiar with Automator and possibly even AppleScript (which I'm learning right now) - they can be very useful for a bunch of different things.

I'd definitely add Perian for playing all the video formats QuickTime doesn't handle by default. OnyX is my favorite maintenance app. I'd also take a few hours to get familiar with Automator and possibly even AppleScript (which I'm learning right now) - they can be very useful for a bunch of different things.

Thanks Macfan777 for the input. I am slowly getting used to all the goodness that my MBP has to offer, but I will definitely check out your recommendations.