Sign in to follow this  
Wilfred

To get mom online

This isn't exactly a switcher story but should tell something about the user friendliness of the Mac.

My mother had already turned 70 and her experience with this technology was zip and nil and absolutely zero, yes, she had actually hardly touched a mechanic typewriter, let alone an electric one! Her children had all left the nest and some of us as far as Portugal (me) and one all the way down to Australia, which is a long way from Norway in northern Europe. This sister of mine had left her old Performa at our mother's place, though, and although I don't think I can proudly claim to be a geek, I've learnt some since I bought my first Mac in 1998 - my first computer ever. Anyway, we decided to get mummy on the Internet so she could exchange e-mails etc. with us. A second sister in Oslo helped some by getting an ISP and creating an e-mail account for her, but I took care of the rest - over the telephone.

Now, I do ask you; do you seriously think that it would have been possible to teach a person of this age and with the same level of experience regarding technology, if it had been a PC running Windows 98? I doubt it very much. The first missing dll-file would have put her off! Hahaha!

Anyway, it didn't took her long before she was checking, reading and sending e-mails, printing them out and even went into the system itself to correct stuff et cetera.

It is sad to say that the Performa finally broke down, so my mother is now stuck with a Dell running Win98 but she is now so seasoned thanks to the Mac-experience, that she can even handle that - especially since I downloaded and installed a missing dll-file and cleansed the system when we visited earlier this summer - and she will be getting a Mac mini for Christmas, if not sooner.

As I said, not a switcher story but one who clearly demonstrates that Mac OS really is user friendly.

I bought my mother in law an iMac DV (Graphite). She'd never used a computer before, ever, and now I can't call them on the phone because she's always on the Internet. :-)

roog

I think that's a really cool story. Thanks for sharing it. Get her the Mac mini soon!

This somewhat reminds me of my trip to Chicago this past Summer....

While visiting the Apple store at 679 North Michigan Ave (beautiful store, I might add), I saw a short lady standing in front of one of the computers. She was wearing an all-black outfit, and a small black hat. She had her bags and purse around one arm. As I approached her, I realized that this woman must be in her late seventies if not older. She had a pronounced hunch in her back, and was just typing away while staring at the screen. As I passed her, I noticed she was typing an email using Hotmail, and was using fonts which seemed at least 1-inch tall.

A picture of this would have been fantastic for advertising….

A month later I bought my first Mac!

:D

Mac Mini is bought and installed and mum is up and running - we have had problems with video and audio on iChat but many people report that. Might be fixed with the next update, hopefully, or perhaps it is the ISP's fault. But other than that, everything works:)

I liked that other story, too=)

It just works. For everyone!

I was just thinking that it should be possible for older people to install a more basic system and add on more later if they want - like one can choose to install Dev Tools or not.

Apple- do you hear me?