TimB

Apple Store or AT&T Store

I'm finally converting to iPhone this month.

I currently use Verizon and have a famly plan that include my son and me. He doesn't need an iPhone and can take whatever's cheap and easy, I want the iPhone. I suspect I'll have to do this transaction in an AT&T Store as it involves transferring an account (and phone numbers) and acquiring a non-iPhone as well as an iPhone.

Am I correct?

Thanks! :)

-=Tim=-

I've heard that apple stores won't be carrying it, but nothing's been confirmed afaik.

the apple stores will sell the iphones, with the only limitation being you must get the consumer data plan, as opposed to the enterprise data plan. also, they wont be able to activate a non-iphone even if it is at&t, so you're right, if you'll be activating your son's non-iphone, go to the at&t store.

the apple stores will sell the iphones, with the only limitation being you must get the consumer data plan, as opposed to the enterprise data plan. also, they wont be able to activate a non-iphone even if it is at&t, so you're right, if you'll be activating your son's non-iphone, go to the at&t store.

Are there levels of AT&T Stores that will be better than others? In my area there are smaller and bigger ones, is it safe to assume the bigger the better?

-=Tim=-

I think most the at&t stores sell iphones and can help you out with the family plan stuff, just not the kiosks at malls and such. But to be sure, just call them in advance.

I talked to AT&T yesterday and they said the Apple store would be able to port numbers for new accounts. Not sure about the non-iPhone, though, you will probably have to go to AT&T for that.

i am also guessing that apple stores will only be able to help with with activating an iPhone. Most likely for security so apple does not have full access to at&ts accounts.

i like using my local Apple Store because they friendly, smart, and i'm beginning to get to know a few of them. i'd rather buy the iPhones from them than go to the AT&T "Authorized retailer" in my area. Here's the deal:

My wife and i are going to get matching iPhones (only seems fair). We'd like to get the consumer family plan offered on AT&T's website (2 lines for $129.99). We're going to be switching from Sprint with whom we have a family plan of phones currently, and we want to bring those existing numbers with us.

Do you think the Apple Store will be able to help us with this, or do we need to go to an AT&T store?

Highly unlikely that they can deal with anything other than standard packages.

I've heard that apple stores won't be carrying it, but nothing's been confirmed afaik.

I had to take my current iPhone in to the genius bar on the Fourth (everybody was at the beach, so the store was uncharacteristically empty). My phone had an area of white discoloration in the upper right hand corner of the screen. This is the second one in a row to have this problem.

While the genius was cheerfully replacing my iPhone with a new one (Apple Care paid off this time), I asked her if she knew if they the new iPhone would be available at the Apple Store. She told me that she had no idea and that she wished that she herself knew because she wants to get one.

Last year when I purchased mine, I started off at my local ATT store, but left in disgust after an hour or so. The line was slow and the store staff were trying to upsell their captive audience to their stupid wifi hotspot plans and other services. I left and drove a few miles to the Apple Store where I walked right in and two minutes later walked out iPhone in hand. I don't want to have to even look at an ATT store if I decided to get the new phone.

After having just posted that the person at the genius bar told me (two days ago) she had no idea if the new phone would be on sale at the Apple Store, I saw this new update to the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

...where it says "iPhone 3G is coming soon to an Apple Retail Store near you."

i like using my local Apple Store because they friendly, smart, and i'm beginning to get to know a few of them. i'd rather buy the iPhones from them than go to the AT&T "Authorized retailer" in my area. Here's the deal:

My wife and i are going to get matching iPhones (only seems fair). We'd like to get the consumer family plan offered on AT&T's website (2 lines for $129.99). We're going to be switching from Sprint with whom we have a family plan of phones currently, and we want to bring those existing numbers with us.

Do you think the Apple Store will be able to help us with this, or do we need to go to an AT&T store?

You should be able to go to an Apple store. This is almost exactly what my husband and I plan on doing, except that we are leaving Verizon and taking our numbers with us.

I am hoping the Apple store employees know that you can put the iPhone on a 550 minute family plan, where available, and they are able to do so as this is the plan we will be signing up for. (We use like... 200 minutes a month, if that).

You should be able to go to an Apple store. This is almost exactly what my husband and I plan on doing, except that we are leaving Verizon and taking our numbers with us.

I am hoping the Apple store employees know that you can put the iPhone on a 550 minute family plan, where available, and they are able to do so as this is the plan we will be signing up for. (We use like... 200 minutes a month, if that).

i called the local Apple Store to check and the guy told me the same thing. It should be no problem. My wife and only use 200 combined minutes per month right now so the lowest shared minutes is perfect for us.

We're not married are we??

I purchased mine at the Apple Store just to give Apple the money vs. AT&T has enough of my money :-) I got mine I guess I was lucky I went up to Chicago and went to the Woodfield Mall and they said no they were out but would be getting a shipment tomorrow. I called the store in the morning they told me to call back in the afternoon, so I did at the time they said and they just got them in so I drove over and was 4th in line, and got mine. By the time I got through the 28 minute activation the line was out the store :-) Got the 16 GB black. So far loving it!

I've been debating this as well. I live in NYC, and would like to go to the 5th Avenue store to get it, considering it's 24 hours, but I'm not sure when they phones come in since I dont' really like the idea of waiting for hours outside the store.

I may just go to a local AT&T store and just put my money down tomorrow and hope it's here before I leave for vacation (8/29)