northwesternmac

iPod Touch and Airtunes

I have been mulling over the new iPhone's arrival in Canada next week and in looking at Roger's data plans I've become worried that all the push apps and things that make the phone great will also eat up the allotted data. There's no unlimited plan in Canada. :unsure:

So, I'm wondering about settling on an iPod touch. Is the difference as simple as "everything the iPhone has, except no phone, camera or GPS?"

For example, I was wondering if the Touch supports Airtunes. You know, plug it into an iPod speaker and play any music in range of your wireless network, even if it isn't on the Touch itself. That would be a nice feature that would compensate for the smaller storage. Anyone tried this? We have Macbook and it can do this. Adding that ability to a set of speakers in the garage would be great.

Mobile me is supported, says Apple.

Are there other issues I should keep in mind?

You can't do that with either the iPod touch or iPhone. IT is rumoured that you will be able to use them as remote controls for your iTunes library on your mac though.

Essentially you're right, but you're missing out on the bigger picture. Some of the coolest apps will be the location aware ones. With an iPod touch you'd be limited to getting the location data through wifi.

All the push apps? They're sending a text string, nothing more. That will use up literally bytes of data.

That is great news! B) Thanks for the tip; however, is GPS also a low bandwidth item? That is something I really can see myself missing if I take the Touch.

You can't do that with either the iPod touch or iPhone. IT is rumoured that you will be able to use them as remote controls for your iTunes library on your mac though.

Essentially you're right, but you're missing out on the bigger picture. Some of the coolest apps will be the location aware ones. With an iPod touch you'd be limited to getting the location data through wifi.

All the push apps? They're sending a text string, nothing more. That will use up literally bytes of data.

GPS doesn't use data in the traditional sense. It communicates directly with the satellite, it doesn't go anywhere near the cell network.