Ron in KY

Ipod Touch $20 upgrade software for email/maps/sock

I have a question. I just sold my ipod touch on ebay, and I got it from someone who paid for the update, and when I got it I synced it with my itunes and always had those features. I was told it was a firmware update. but when I sold my Touch I did a restore cause I wanted to get my information off the deice, and now those applications are not there. I did a restore, they were not there either there was a few empty spots on the icon area of the touch. I mentioned this to the buyer and they want $20 off there purchase.

My question is, with a major release happening in a few days, will he end up with this stuff for free or in the cost he may have to incur then? I hate to settle on $20 when it may not be necessary in a few days. any opinions.

Thanks, Ron

No, no major software updates for the ipod touch will ever be free.

I recently restored my iPod Touch and didn't have this problem. Is it just because I bought it new with the firmware update already installed?

Edited by jlamb0

You can get the apps back, but they are tied to you iTunes account. It's like music, you can't transfer ownership. The 2.0 software will be out next week anyway, so they'd probably be buying it anyway.

Graham,

The purchaser is insistent that the new version will cost him more then $19.99, and he wants me to pay im for the $20 so he can get the apps put on now. I am very reluctant to do this cause its essentially taking $20 of the price and he will turn around and purchase the new upgrade, and make out on the deal. I am wondering, if there a way that I can have Apple bill me for the $19.99 software update and give him his email address associated with his iTunes account so I force the purchase to be for the old software update that is now lacking from his system to appear in his iTunes account and updated to his unit; so then he will still have to pay for any update that he SAYS he is not interested in.

I actually miss my touch already. Now that I found out I cant easily get the the iphone cause im still in sontract and also found out AT&T charges a monthly fee to activate functionality of the GPS built into the new units. They adv it could be about $9.99 additional so your looking at 80$ service plus taxes minimum.